Charity plant sales

Reaction score
Has any one any experience of organising plant sales? I'm wondering about plants that have, for instance poisonous berries like a Yew or Arum. Do you label them as such? Or maybe just avoid them altogether. If you buy plants with 'potential 'issues' in a commercial nursery there is rarely a warning on the label.

Reaction score
The commercial nurseries have something in fine print that states, if you take this plant home and it somehow contributes to your demise, we're not responsible. Whereas, if you organized a plant sale, and one or more of the plants were poisonous, it would be incumbent on you to make people aware of it, because if something happens, you could be sued. Personally, I'd stay away from dangerous plants altogether.

Reaction score
I have organised plant sales for charity. I have included Diffenbachia in my list of plants and have put a small warning on the pot. I do not want people to find this out from a bad experience. But I do tell people that as long as they do not have babies or pets who would ingest the leaves it is fine to take them home.. I always tell them that I have a number of these plants in my garden and I have had no issues with them.

Reaction score
Thank you Maddie, How do you decide where the 'dangerous' line is for labelling purposes? Plants that just cause temporary itches or sneezes wouldn't worry most gardeners but people, sometimes rightly but often needlessly have a much lower perceived danger threshold. Litigation scares the wits out of us all these days.

Reaction score
Thank you Maddie, How do you decide where the 'dangerous' line is for labelling purposes? Plants that just cause temporary itches or sneezes wouldn't worry most gardeners but people, sometimes rightly but often needlessly have a much lower perceived danger threshold. Litigation scares the wits out of us all these days.
I prefer to make even the smallest reaction know as these could be different with different people. This could be especially dangerous with toddlers and pets.. so I don't want to take chances. Experienced gardeners may be aware of some of these things.. but there may be those first timers trying to plant a new garden..buying these plants It is better to ensure the safety of your buyers.

Reaction score
I prefer to make even the smallest reaction know as these could be different with different people. This could be especially dangerous with toddlers and pets.. so I don't want to take chances. Experienced gardeners may be aware of some of these things.. but there may be those first timers trying to plant a new garden..buying these plants It is better to ensure the safety of your buyers.
You're so right, some of the most beautiful house plants can be dangerous to small children and pets. The Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane and the Caladium (also called the Sweetheart Plant) are not good house plants to have around small children.

The Caladium is usually an outdoor plant and as you can see, very beautiful...

675px-Caladium_bicolor_%27Florida_Sweetheart%27_Plant_2220px.jpg

Reaction score
You're so right, some of the most beautiful house plants can be dangerous to small children and pets. The Dieffenbachia or Dumb Cane and the Caladium (also called the Sweetheart Plant) are not good house plants to have around small children.

The Caladium is usually an outdoor plant and as you can see, very beautiful...

675px-Caladium_bicolor_%27Florida_Sweetheart%27_Plant_2220px.jpg
I love caladium, I have a few plants at home.. luckily my kids or my pets don't mess around with those plants.. I am careful when my family or friends with little kids visit me..
I love this picture of the caladium you have posted here.. it is so healthy and beautiful.. i have one similar to this but does not have many leaves.

Ask a Question