Can I bring my baby raspberry plant indoors for winter?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a very small raspberry plant in a pot. It's been in the pot all summer. I live in southern Ontario. Can or should I bring it in this winter? I don't want it to die? But not sure if it will establish itself this late in the season so that it will survive the winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hi there! I think the plant needs a cold cycle. If you're worried about it being too young and possibly freezing, make sure you keep it in a cool place and not a heated place in the house. You should also read up on the variety that you have to be sure what conditions are best for it. Good luck!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, you have been given the best advice in the above post. Hope all goes well with your new plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sister planted a raspberry tree for my mom last Mother's Day, but like @ChanellG said, it needs the cold cycle. I live in Michigan and the winter here is brutal but the raspberry tree comes back in the spring with no problem.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi there! I think the plant needs a cold cycle. If you're worried about it being too young and possibly freezing, make sure you keep it in a cool place and not a heated place in the house. You should also read up on the variety that you have to be sure what conditions are best for it. Good luck!

Should I keep it in my garage? Maybe? but there is no sun in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
We don't have winter here but I guess it is all right to bring potted plants indoor as a defense to extreme cold weather or climate. However, the plant needs sunlight especially during the winter cold so it can continue producing chlorophyl, that green thing in the leaves. So my advice is to bring the plant indoor at night and put it out in the morning. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Should I keep it in my garage? Maybe? but there is no sun in there.

Is there absolutely no sun at all entering the garage? Your best bet then may be to keep it outdoors and just give it enough protection from the harshest part of winter to keep it from freezing. Exposing it to small amounts of cold can also help it become more cold hardy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
No, leave it outside.
Apart from the good that the cold will do it, there's also the harm it will do to any nasties lurking there.
Best of all would be to get it in the ground before winter.

P.S. If you're plant is not going to make it,
1) It'll never fruit well.
2) Molly-coddling won't help.

Ask a Question