Bringing some potted plants out of dormancy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good spring everyone!

I kept some roses and some blue berry bushes in my garage over the winter. I watered them maybe 3 or 4 times over the winter. All the plants went into dormancy in good health and good soil for each plant type.

I know I need to trim back the roses by 2/3 But do I need to trim back my blue berry bushes? I know blue berrys take some time to produce buds and the plants are covered in them. I don't want to trim anything I shouldn't.

Also, during summer months I was primarly watering all my garden with nutrient rich fish tank water. I waited until late fall to water with just tap water to help dormancy kick in. So should the first few waterings of the spring be with nutrient rich water or just plain old water. Do plants need a nutrient boost straight out of the gate come spring time?

This will be the first time I've kept anything alive over the winter and I'd like to kick start some things early this year, so if anybody has any good ideas or tips for getting a jump on this whole "playing in the dirt" thing. I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Ask a Question