Blue Lilies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all, I am new to gardening; but having fun and have really become fond of Lilies. We have some beutiful Stargazers that I got my wife for Valentines Day and promptly planted outside. They are doing well (although the flowers have died off, the plants look to be doing well). Id like to plant some more and found some pictures of a really cool looking blue Lily but I cant seem to find bulbs anywhere. Just a pack of seeds on Amazon with REALLY low reviews.

Does anyone know anything about these? What are they called and where can I get them?

Attachments

• Blue lily.jpg
    Blue lily.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 39,516
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Ha , a familiar picture. This is sold as a "hybrid of lily and clematis".
1.jpg

I'm sorry that dishonest vendors are deceiving inexperienced gardeners. Of course, there are no blue lilies or "rainbow roses".

Although white flowers sometimes paint, adding a special dye to the water for irrigation. You can remember the blue phalaenopsis, which is white actually.
But in this case, I also think that this is photoshop.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, thats a shame. Just ruined my weekend :(

Don't let it get you down. There are many great blue flowers, but maybe not quite like that cyan color in your photo. Consider something like Stout Blue-eyed Grass. A small plant in the Iris family with a very showy flower. :)

DSCN8095_1.jpg

IMG_0339 copy1.jpg

IMG_3262 copy2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do like the stout blue eye grass. Has a nice tropical look to it. We already have some lilies, ginger, hibiscus, rose and a few others I'm unsure of right now. Plus lots of elephant ear, taro and caladium; so the yard has a very tropical feel to it. It's just all white, red, pink and yellow (and green of course). I'd really like some blue with a tropical look to it.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about Agapanthus africanus ? Its common names are Lily of the Nile, the African Blue Lily or African Lily.

I have no experience with this plant, so I don't know its requirements. It is not hardy in my zone.:(
From my reading, it is hardy in zones 8 and above. I also read that there are 10 species, they flower in shades of blue and white, so you might have to hunt for the shade of blue you want. (I love blue flowers!)

th

5391285456121.jpg

More images here: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&fr2=p:s,v:i

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What about Agapanthus africanus ? Its common names are Lily of the Nile, the African Blue Lily or African Lily.

I have no experience with this plant, so I don't know its requirements. It is not hardy in my zone.:(
From my reading, it is hardy in zones 8 and above. I also read that there are 10 species, they flower in shades of blue and white, so you might have to hunt for the shade of blue you want. (I love blue flowers!)

th

5391285456121.jpg

More images here: https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrB8pYPJcRYaSUAkckunIlQ?p=Agapanthus+africanus&fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&fr2=p:s,v:i
That is beautiful! Might have to look for some of those

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ha , a familiar picture. This is sold as a "hybrid of lily and clematis".
View attachment 17274
I'm sorry that dishonest vendors are deceiving inexperienced gardeners. Of course, there are no blue lilies or "rainbow roses".

Perhaps you can clarify this. I found clematis, and it is a pretty blue. Is the pictured flower a real thing, or just a photo shop? It almost sounds like you are saying it's just not a lily. ..I'm OK with that. Or im just confused.

Although white flowers sometimes paint, adding a special dye to the water for irrigation. You can remember the blue phalaenopsis, which is white actually.
But in this case, I also think that this is photoshop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@vette-kid
This is Photoshop. Lily is a bulbous plant. The bulb can never withstand so many colors.
Clematis is a liana. Clematis can be of different colors: blue, white, pink ... they have simple and double flowers, and clematis can have a different flowering period. There are varieties that blossom all summer with a short break. Clematis also needs trellis.

These are not my photos, but so clematis can look in the garden. Or in the background of lilies.

651.jpg 9fbba2662ecdd68d81462b4a60fa4ed4.jpg
Also there is a kind of clematis integrifolia. It grows like a bush.
7928438c69809257db19c3599e0897b1.jpg

I did not grow such clematis, but if I'm not mistaken, it blooms for 1 month.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Or in the background of lilies.
I'm taking a chance here, :rolleyes: ;) but do you know, what are the fuchsia-pink lilies :love: on the bottom left of that photo? Just above the row of orange.

They would look stunning with my Stargazers. :love: (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
@MaryMary
I now looked at my catalog, many Asian lilies are very similar. In addition, photos may distort color. :unsure:
For accuracy, it's best to look in the catalog, and then find somebody's photos to see how it looks in the garden. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
... In addition, photos may distort color. :unsure:
For accuracy, it's best to look in the catalog, and then find somebody's photos to see how it looks in the garden. :)
That's very true. I often take sunset photos, then get disgusted and delete them because the color just never looks the same. :(

Ok, that is a good idea!!
I like the foliage on those lilies also, the way they are compact and straight up.(y)

Ask a Question