Bee Hotel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading about bees, and the majority of them are solitary and don't live in hives like honeybees. So I've decided to make a bee hotel for the various types of bees that are native to my area. I've been collecting wood but it's so hard to find anything that hasn't been treated twitch pesticides or chemicals. Most of the free wood on Craigslist is from diseased trees that have been treated heavily with medicine or have something wrong with it. Once i have enough wood to make it though, I'm going to borrow my mom's power tools to drill in holes in the wood and put it together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I've been reading about bees, and the majority of them are solitary and don't live in hives like honeybees. So I've decided to make a bee hotel for the various types of bees that are native to my area. I've been collecting wood but it's so hard to find anything that hasn't been treated twitch pesticides or chemicals. Most of the free wood on Craigslist is from diseased trees that have been treated heavily with medicine or have something wrong with it. Once i have enough wood to make it though, I'm going to borrow my mom's power tools to drill in holes in the wood and put it together.
Idk where you are, but does noone there cut their own wood out the forest for wood stoves? And I also see, in my magazines, housing sold for Mason bees. Online, you can likely buy bee housing if you do some searches.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Check out mason bees for sale .com, you will find about every thing you will need for them. I've used them in the past and I'm happy with them. Their not not cheap but they do stand behind what they sell.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Check out mason bees for sale .com, you will find about every thing you will need for them. I've used them in the past and I'm happy with them. Their not not cheap but they do stand behind what they sell.
Mason bees is a great place to get bee stuff. My uncle is a bee keeper and uses it all the time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
image.jpeg
Lookie! A treat! I was wondering what my dog was after then had to shoo him away. Bumblebees mating! What a treat! Hard to see the male but hes the little yellow head under that giant female, or so what I can tell. They are all over my lavender bushes.
View attachment 13886. Got a better shot.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I thought that was a bird at first. Very nice shot!
Sorry, I deleted the other pic cuz I got this better one. Thats why it errors. Too fun tho! And thanks. I only have an Ipad to take oics with so had to get like an inch close for that close up, lol. Seems they were a little too busy to care! O.O

Ask a Question