Baby Japanese Maple

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Canada
I received this plant about a month ago. The lady told me to wait until it was about two feet tall until planting so to keep it in the container until then. I'm worried it's not growing at the right pace or it's dying... I'm not a gardener but I think there's a tiny bit of leaf tip burn and drooping? I added some mulch from an article I read online. It's been watered every day but I see online that it should be watered every 2-3 days or once a week? It also has been fertilized slightly, is that a problem? It doesn't feel like it's getting any taller.

image.jpg This was about a week ago. I wasn't sure what the green thing was, but I think it's been removed.
image (2).jpg This was today.
image (3).jpg With the addition of some mulch.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You don't really need to water it every day. It might be a good idea to let the plant have a cool feet and yet let it receive morning sun. Make sure the soil is moist and free-draining. Keep it in a sheltered place and water with rain water. You could add a bit of ericaceous compost on top, but not necessary. Some don't grow much at all. For 10 years, some can remain the same height. But yours will grow, so don't worry. Don't put it on a heated concrete corner. Somewhere on grass and in amongst other shrubs, sheltered from strong wind or sun. Treasure it as it is a lovely plant! By the look of it, it is from a seed rather than grafted. I love your plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
Canada
I'm not really sure where to put it. Would putting it in a greenhouse be okay?

image.jpg

We don't really have any grass that's alive or shrubs that have shade.

Ask a Question