A surplus of tomatoes.

Reaction score
I agree that it's better to rub the skin off after parboiling tomatoes. Nothing worse than tough tomato skins when cooking up a pot of homemade sauce.

With fresh tomatoes, I also love to make pico de gallo with chopped tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, cilantro, a little garlic, and some salt and pepper. It tastes so fresh and is good on everything.

I guess I am lucky that I was introduced to a lot of different vegetables when I was a kid. My grandmother always had a garden. I think a lot of the older generation did because they grew up in the depression and had to raise their own food.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Unfortunately I think this is the case for a lot of people. Not with tomatoes specifically...but just with any food. If the parents don't like it the kids never try it. Thankfully in my case I like pretty much everything (although that wasn't always the case...)
I'm a picky eater but fortunately I learned how delicious tomatoes are and now I simply can't imagine a sandwich without them. My sister has never tried any though.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I forgot to add that I always rub off the skins of my tomatoes. This way they're tastier:D
Anyway, would you believe that I ate my very first tomato when I was around 20? My mother hates tomatos, she doesn't buy them nor grow them, so we didn't have any at home. Of course she would give me one if I asked her, but I didn't want to eat vegetables that I wasn't familiar with:p

First time I remember trying a Tomato was at School when I was 6, just hadn't seen one before, I guess my folks just didn't buy them.

Anyway, in my mouth it went and came straight out again, didn't like that at all:D

Love them now though:)

Recently found out that some items were still on ration from the war while I was a kid, don't know if tomatoes were on that list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think that many children don't like tomatoes because of the little seeds in them and the jelly. In general, they don't look too yummy. I remember that I thought that they're quite disgusting when I was a kid, lol:p

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Think it was the variety or the way it was grown with the first one I had, tasted like tin, can still remember.

Reaction score
I think that a lot of people don't like tomatoes because they haven't really tasted how good they can be when homegrown. The ones you get at the grocery store, or served to you at a restaurant, are frequently flavorless. It's like eating a cold, wet bit of filler that adds nothing to the salad or sandwich. Hamburger joints are really bad about that. You can't even taste the tomato, and when you bite into it, it just pulls out of the sandwich and ends up being a tasteless mess.

Homegrown! Once people get to try a REAL tomato, there is just no going back to the forcibly ripened garbage that you buy at the store.

Reaction score
I think that many children don't like tomatoes because of the little seeds in them and the jelly. In general, they don't look too yummy. I remember that I thought that they're quite disgusting when I was a kid, lol:p

Actually I would say to this day I'm not a fan of the seeds or the jelly....I just like the fleshy part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Actually I would say to this day I'm not a fan of the seeds or the jelly....I just like the fleshy part.
Really?:p Personally, I love eating whole tomatoes. The jelly tastes just like water and the seeds in my opinion are unnoticable. The more I talk about tomatoes, the more hungry I am:D

Reaction score
Honestly I love to eat them right out of the garden. My favorite this year are the Sun Sugars! I could eat those all day. My 2 year old daughter loves them too. Outside if that, I like salsa and BLTs - not together ;)

Reaction score
I love them straight from the vine when they are still warm from the sun. Yum! I have never had a Sun Sugar.

It's strange, I love tomatoes, but I am not a fan of the cherry tomatoes. I hate how they squirt when you bite into them and I also think many of are either too sweet or too acidic. Grape tomatoes are really good, though.

Reaction score
Love to eat grape tomatoes straight from the vine too cheerio! It's not summer until I eat a warm tomato straight from the garden!

Reaction score
It's great that you find a use for all of your tomatoes. I always regret planting more than one tomato plant every year. We get bombarded with tomatoes and we don't even tend to use all of them, so we usually just end up giving them to neighbors, family, and friends. I try to avoid throwing it out because it could come in handy for someone else.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Good thinking Becky

Ask a Question