28 May 2018 Mason Bee House

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2018/May 2018/28 May 2018 Mason Bee House/HTML/28 May 2018 Mason Bee House
My Mason Bee house (48 tubes) arrived today and was installed in a prepared weather proof enclosure namely a five gallon pail, and placed in a shaded tree. The house was supplied by Crown Bees on the internet. A small container of flexible garden clay was also placed in the enclosure. Cost around $60.00. There are few bees in my extensive garden and my aim is to attract some mason bees. At the present time it is an experiment.
dsc_9972_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Nothing yet. I may have been too late putting the mason bee house in position. It is also cold and there are few insects. There may be hope yet.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As I understand it, Mason bees are active at a lower temperature than Leaf-cutters. So if it is still cold, you have a chance for Mason bees. (I would think.)

If not, you might still wind up with Leaf-cutters.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I know you grow a lot of fruits and veggies, not sure about flowers though ? Perhaps a few bee loving native flowers nearby would get their attention close to house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have a large number of flowers. I found bees love papaver somniferm. I will put a patch in next year.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nothing yet. I may have been too late putting the mason bee house in position. It is also cold and there are few insects. There may be hope yet.

Durgan, I'm curious. Did you get any bees, or were you too late for last year?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
No bees I will activate the house a soon as the snow is gone. It was too late last year.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@roadrunner, the hole should be about 5/16" in diameter and at least 6" deep. :)

The first few bees in the nesting tunnel closest to the entrance are always males. The last two or three bees deeper in the tunnel are females.

(Hence, the importance of at least a six inch tunnel. If the tunnel is too short, there will be only male bees. The tunnel can be longer than six inches, but six is good.) https://www.lawn-care-academy.com/orchard-mason-bee.html

Ask a Question