JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The year ends next week and I thought it'd be a good time to share some of my favorite photos taken in my native garden throughout 2017. It was another great year for my habitat restoration.

My first bloom of the year was Confederate Violet (Viola sororia f. princeana) in late April. It was soon followed by Common Blue Violets, Wild Ginger, and Wild Strawberry.
IMG_1764 copy.jpg

The color really began to show in May. Wild Columbine (Aquilegia canadensis), Wild Geranium (Geranium maculatum), and Stout Blue-eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium angustifolium) are just some of the native plants I have that begin blooming in May.
IMG_2371 copy.jpg

IMG_2488 copy.jpg

IMG_2697 copy.jpg

As great as May is, June begins two straight months of color explosion. Right at the beginning of June, Blue Flag Irises begin to bloom. They seem to bloom just as the rest of the plants get to their height, as if they intend to bloom before they become hidden.
IMG_2860 copy.jpg

Foxglove Beardtongue (Penstemon digitalis) starts blooming around the middle of the month. It's popular with long-tongued bees.
IMG_2965 copy.jpg

Towards the end of the months, Bush's Coneflowers and Black-eyed Susans begin to bloom.
IMG_3161 copy.jpg

A Sweat Bee rests on this Black-eyed Susan.
IMG_3421 copy.jpg

At the very end of June, just as July begins, Orange Milkweed starts blooming and continues all the way through summer. A Great Golden Digger Wasp was frequently seen drinking nectar in July.
IMG_4947 copy.jpg

July has the biggest variety of flowers in my garden. One of the standouts is Swamp Milkweed. It's one of the tallest plants I have and attracts a large variety of pollinators.
IMG_3630 copy.jpg

I only have a couple Purple Prairie Clover plants in my garden, but when they bloom, they're often visited by small bees and flies. I wish I had more of these, but they grow slowly and rabbits like to eat them right to the ground.
IMG_3687 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot attracts all sorts of bees, as well as Hummingbirds. I enjoy the shape of the flower but it doesn't bloom for long.
IMG_4377 copy.jpg

August doesn't bring many new blooms to my garden, but a lot of July flowers do carry over throughout August, including Purple Coneflower, which attracts a wide variety of pollinators, as well as dragonflies and damselflies which simply use them as a place to land.

IMG_5558 copy.jpg

IMG_5650 copy.jpg

IMG_5579 copy.jpg

IMG_5671 copy.jpg

IMG_5697 copy.jpg

One flower that does begin to bloom in August is quickly becoming a favorite of mine, Great Blue Lobelia. It seems to grow into a nice shape and size, and the blue-purple color looks amazing. I'm on a mission to grow more of these. I've heard that once you have a small colony of them, they'll self-seed enough to quickly turn into a large colony. Hummingbirds love them!

IMG_6135 copy.jpg

September doesn't offer much for new blooms, but it does give me Sneezeweed, which is a very tall and bright yellow flower that I wouldn't mind more of. I only have one plant and it keeps coming back.
IMG_6340 copy.jpg

September is also when Asters begin to bloom. Asters are the last flowers to bloom in my garden. They can bloom as early as August and can continue well into October.
IMG_6485 copy.jpg

Asters are an important late-season nectar source for butterflies and bees, and on warm Autumn days, the plants can be swarmed by pollinators. It's an amazing sight, and I'd especially recommend New England Aster for anyone gardening to helping pollinators.
IMG_6490 copy.jpg

IMG_6526 copy.jpg

IMG_6605 copy.jpg

Of course, now it's December and the garden sits dormant, waiting to start growing again next year. It continues to provide shelter as well as food, but it won't start looking good again for four long months.
IMG_6998 copy.jpg

If you'd like to see all of my garden photos, here's a slideshow of my native garden.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Every photo is a gem and the bugs are glorious!

I have never seen a blue lobelia! What a beauty!

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone!

Gorgeous! Do you do anything with you photos, @JBtheExplorer ? Are you a hobby or professional photographer? Do you sell them? These would make a beautiful calender to sell or give away to friends and relatives.

Just a hobby. I hang a few on my walls and give some to my relatives.

I've wanted to do a calendar for years. Maybe one year I'll finally go through with it. The hardest part would be cutting it down to 12 months!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you by any chance have any pictures of seedlings? Or some very small plants? Nothing is coming up yet, but I want to know what not to pull! (y)

I didn't, but I just took these real quick. Not too easy to ID New England Aster when they're small, but once they have a few sets of true leaves, they're much easier to ID.

IMG_8092 copy.jpg

IMG_8093 copy.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thank you, JB!! :) (y)

I'm starting to worry, because they are not coming up. :unsure: I'll buy one if I have to, but was hoping to grow them from seed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you, JB!! :) (y)

I'm starting to worry, because they are not coming up. :unsure: I'll buy one if I have to, but was hoping to grow them from seed.

They come up super easy for me. One of the easier plants I've grown from seed. Give them some time and they may start growing.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes!! (y) I noticed them two days ago. :D I was going to wait until they were more recognizable, but that is the only thing I planted in that pot, so I'm sure that's what they are. (y) :)

I already pulled a weed out after seeing the seedlings, so thank you for the pictures!

Yay!!! :joyful:

Ask a Question