Winter cover for garden plot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Each year I try to garden a 20 by 30 foot plot. I have tried raised box beds. Framed raised beds and in the ground gardening in rows. Each year these methods seem to bring out the weeds in abundance. My son in law swears by a green house, but I have neither the funds or energy to make one, I'm 80.
I have seen black plastic used to cover rows, even entire commercial gardens. My son suggests a cardboard cover for the entire 20 by 30 foot garden. Then add a thin layer of soil to anchor it. I live in Oklahoma where we have 40 mile an hour winds for late February to early April. Most people say don't plant before Easter here.

Do you recommend the black plastics or a cardboard cover or not at all.? My need is to kill all the weeds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... Do you recommend the black plastics or a cardboard cover or not at all.? My need is to kill all the weeds.
None of the above. The absolutely best weed control I have found in decades of doing this is the use of cover crops and never allowing the garden area to be without something growing.

I could show you photos or you can research this forum illustrating cover crops that give almost 100% weed control...in addition to building soil. It works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
None of the above. The absolutely best weed control I have found in decades of doing this is the use of cover crops and never allowing the garden area to be without something growing.

I could show you photos or you can research this forum illustrating cover crops that give almost 100% weed control...in addition to building soil. It works.
And do not let weeds go to seed. Some things spread underground and are harder to get rid of.

Ask a Question