Will these flowers grow?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I picked up a pack of wildflower seeds from the store and wanted to grow them. I picked a spot in my backyard that got a lot of sun. I got rid of all the weeds and raked the soil. I mixed all of the seeds with a pack of miracle grow liquid fertilizer (It was just the powder, I didn't wet it or anything) and threw everything all over the area I wanted everything to grow in. I then raked the whole area again just to cover the seeds. The date on the soil pack said to grow from September-April for my area. Is it alright if I started right now? This is my first time planting anything outside, most of my plants are indoors. I always felt like I had really bad soil anyways.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As long as you don't over or underwater them, I'd assume something will grow. (y) You can plant them from September to April, so March is fine.

You bought one of the little envelope packs of seed? Over how big of an area? That's the only part that concerns me. If they are broadcast over too large of an area, they might not grow as thickly as you want.

Next time, skip the fertilizer. The seeds have enough energy to grow, and the fertilizer might be too strong, if too many crystals landed close to a seed. I don't think it will make much of a difference overall, but why waste it when they don't need it?

You can always amend your soil. :)

(y) Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
As long as you don't over or underwater them, I'd assume something will grow. (y) You can plant them from September to April, so March is fine.

You bought one of the little envelope packs of seed? Over how big of an area? That's the only part that concerns me. If they are broadcast over too large of an area, they might not grow as thickly as you want.

Next time, skip the fertilizer. The seeds have enough energy to grow, and the fertilizer might be too strong, if too many crystals landed close to a seed. I don't think it will make much of a difference overall, but why waste it when they don't need it?

You can always amend your soil. :)

(y) Good luck!
I don't know exactly how big the area I chose was, but it could probably fit about 2 average sized cars. The seed packet was not that small, it was probably about 3x the size of a normal seed packet. If it doesn't grow that thickly, I'll just add another packet. One of my concerns is that the area where I planted them, didn't have much weeds growing compared to my entire backyard which is basically filled with weeds. I think it's bad soil, which was why I added the fertilizer. I need to do a soil test.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As MaryMary pointed out, you don't really need fertilisers for wild flower seeds.

Have a look

Variety is the key so don't be too quick to clear everything away. ... Treat'em mean to keep'em keen -wild flowers thrive in poor low-nutrient soils, where they ... Loosen up - seeds will not establish in asoil that is compacted, so it's important to ...

This is from the world famous KEW Grow Wild section
https://www.growwilduk.com/content/how-assess-your-soil

Ask a Question