Which James Cameron Alien Exploded Out From My Squash?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this that Harvard boring vine beetle or something? James Cameron alien? Did something go in or come out? It looks like a rotted hole but then the main string fibers are sort of hanging out, they look very long which is wierd like they are growing. This has to be very recent.

20230704_140158.jpg
20230704_140212.jpg

20230704_140220.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I've never seen that before, yikes. I do see in the top pic what looks like a slug about to go in the rotten part.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I cant see the rest of the plant or stem but you may be able to save the plant by covering the stem above the damage with soil and keeping it damp so that it will grow new roots.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I don't know... the squash is maybe going out of fuel along with my cucs. I over planted like a mad person... too much squash and cucs... screwed up 12 jars of pickles in 2 batches, also screwed up a crock of fermented pickles. Can't get the salt right, can't get the vinegar right, canned wrong, picked to late, pickled too late... lol. All I want is the perfect kosher pickle I'm hopeless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
It might be spots where it broke... I crammed 6 squash into 3 10 gallon grow bags. Planted 2 more between that and the house in ground. Then rows of brocoli in front of that. Couldn't let them grow into the brocoli too much so forced em up. But they kept going, lol, falling over, bigger bamboo! Fix, grow fall over, lol. Dam you wind!! I got so much squash I can't be mad.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes my personal favorite is to have a huge summer squash laying on the ground and then a wind come by and physically twist the plant like helicopter blades off the stem. I have steaked the stem to the ground before to avoid this.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yes my personal favorite is to have a huge summer squash laying on the ground and then a wind come by and physically twist the plant like helicopter blades off the stem. I have steaked the stem to the ground before to avoid this.

Summer squash I pick and fry once they hit 6 inches. I didn't know you could eat them big.. I find them not really edible once they get too big. That's just me though

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The world record is 2021 for a 2703 pound pumpkin. He grew it doing exactly what I mentioned, doesn't matter if it's a pumpkin or a tomato culling and keeping all the energy on one or a few fruits is how to grow big.

download (2).jpeg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I put that on the wrong thread. That's my cue I'm too hot and need to go inside for supper and get off this forum for the day lol.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Summer squash I pick and fry once they hit 6 inches. I didn't know you could eat them big.. I find them not really edible once they get too big. That's just me though
I prefer them small, but sometimes they are hard and fail the fingernail test ( fingernail should go in easy I hear). I got this squash.

https://www.rareseeds.com/squash-summer-rugosa-friulana

It's pretty good but I think it's a little mixed with something cause there is a lot of variation... maybe I'll just start picking at 6 inches... ibwas waiting for the warts, seems most tender... but I'm no squash master.

Varition that is wierd, fat green, some smooth warts some all wart
20230619_172253.jpg

two with warts two smooth, wierd.
20230613_181448.jpg

Green
20230607_101201.jpg

Ask a Question