What to do under this tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I would like to put something under this tree that will not spill out of the circle, that is 8-10 high and that is drought resistant; like the other plants in this space.

Of course, it's possible that nothing is better than something, but it just feels empty to me, and the leaves from the tree create clutter that might not be noticed if there were some plants there, for the leaves to drop through and so not be noticed.

I'm open to suggestions.

01-Under tree.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most ground cover type plants will spread. Bishops weed (Aegopodium) is variegated and very pretty. Would look great there. Eventually you would have to work on the edge.

Attachments

• F185-07.jpg
    F185-07.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 153
Reaction score
Country
United States
Depending on how much sun you have sedum or succulents would be nice and they comes in a lot of different varieties

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Most ground cover type plants will spread. Bishops weed (Aegopodium) is variegated and very pretty. Would look great there. Eventually you would have to work on the edge.
Yes, that looks like it would work, as long as it is drought resistant and that looks to be the case. Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am still thinking about the cultivation of very low boxwoods under trees. I like the look, and by not being high they do not steal light, and they can be formally trimmed or not.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have you considered removing the tree which would solve the problem of it dropping leaves then free up the ground to plant what you like? (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi,

Have you considered removing the tree which would solve the problem of it dropping leaves then free up the ground to plant what you like? (y)

Kind regards, Colin.
That is a very expensive option and we're already out $4,000, which is what we paid a "landscape designer" to redesign our landscape! He did such a poor job that we sued and won, but we only got part of it back. Our members are in no mood for another expensive landscape project!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm open to suggestions?

One tree an expensive landscape project; I've felled lots of trees in our gardens and disposed of them on my own for the price of a drop of fuel; two of the trees were 80' tall. Removing your tree appeared to be a decent suggestion to me solving both problems.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Hi,

I'm open to suggestions?

One tree an expensive landscape project; I've felled lots of trees in our gardens and disposed of them on my own for the price of a drop of fuel; two of the trees were 80' tall. Removing your tree appeared to be a decent suggestion to me solving both problems.

Kind regards, Colin.
You may be right about diy but...
We are a condominium and there are legal, and safety, constraints regarding the removal of large trees. The city requires licensed arborists be hired to remove trees that are a certain size. Then there is the stump, which would have to be removed, which is not a diy project. So again, this is not a "decent" option for us.

Ask a Question