What is artificial grass like?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

We are planning to install synthetic grass on our new build.

It will be roughly 9m x 5m.

Are they installed on top of cement or dirt?

When it rains I assume water is going to go through and cause the soil underneath to get reall soft and hence affecting the concrete aroudn it? (Assuming it's installed on top of dirt).

Are they literally maintenace free and last a very long time?

Any help is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had an all-astroturf yard when we lived in southern California. We just moved to Tennessee last October. We used it because we lived in the desert and the water bill for keeping a lush, green lawn was astronomical in 100+ temperatures all the time and very low humidity. The pro was that it always looked immaculate and was easy to keep clean. The con was that in that heat, it was WAY too hot to walk on barefoot, like you can do in real grass, so you couldn't really enjoy the yard. You would get first degree burns on your feet if you walked on it in the summer. That was dangerous for not only my family but for our pets as well. If it hurts our feet, it will hurt a pet's feet too.

Now we have a large yard with nice green grass and that soft cushy feel of real grass to go with it! I want to make the lawn even better but I need to give it a year to see what happens with the dead spots during the summer growing season.

Mike

Ask a Question