Weird spots on tomato plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you check the fertilizer you give it to see how much if any manganese is in it?

Also did you harden them off? How long have they been growing outside for? I see you are in Georgia, I assume it's crazy hot there? How much sun are they getting each day? It might be cooking them in those pots because they are not very big they might not be able to take the heat that a full sized plant can. This is what I think is wrong but those spots are throwing me off.

Does the potting soil you have them in have fertilizer on-top of the fertilizer you feed them?

Usually the pale white curling leaves is a sign of sun scorching but the whitish grey spots indicate a possible manganese deficiency. But the green dry dying curling leaves are a bit odd, makes me wonder if it's too much of something causing a chain reaction of other things.
My fertilizer has no magnesium. I did harden them off and they've been outside for about a month now. The soil had no fertilizer in it. I have no idea what's causing this

Reaction score
Country
United States
My fertilizer has no magnesium. I did harden them off and they've been outside for about a month now. The soil had no fertilizer in it. I have no idea what's causing this
What potting mix are you using?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm stoned right now from a nice smooth toke of a joint and can't stop laughing at how random that question was lol!
Well nobody was talking to you. so I suggest you get on with your drug habit and let us discuss more important things like tomato mosaic virus carried by tobacco on the hands. This problem affects all plants from the solanaceae family, including peppers.

@Acorner it looks like a mosaic disease, but clearly we have not found the cause yet. It can be spread by insects, or on uncleaned tools as well as on the hands. My own first experience of this was many years ago when I used to smoke cigarettes (like an idiot) but as you don't use tobacco, we need to find the actual cause.
If this was my plant, by now I think I would probably incinerate it and start again. Oneeye's suggestion is a valid and useful one as the potting mix you use is important.
Disinfecting pots is also a very important factor. In the UK we always use Tomorite to feed these plants. I think you should be able to get that where you are.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well nobody was talking to you. so I suggest you get on with your drug habit and let us discuss more important things like tomato mosaic virus carried by tobacco on the hands. This problem affects all plants from the solanaceae family, including peppers.

@Acorner it looks like a mosaic disease, but clearly we have not found the cause yet. It can be spread by insects, or on uncleaned tools as well as on the hands. My own first experience of this was many years ago when I used to smoke cigarettes (like an idiot) but as you don't use tobacco, we need to find the actual cause.
If this was my plant, by now I think I would probably incinerate it and start again. Oneeye's suggestion is a valid and useful one as the potting mix you use is important.
Disinfecting pots is also a very important factor. In the UK we always use Tomorite to feed these plants. I think you should be able to get that where you are.
Thank you. I believe the soil was called Back to the Roots potting mix. It is possible that tobacco caused it if it can be spread like that. I don't smoke but I'm good friends with someone that does smoke and I spend a considerable amount of time around them at their house.

I knew it was too late in the season to grow plants and wasn't planning on having anything produce with my limited growing knowledge. My main goal right now was to learn from all of the mistakes I knew I would make on the first go around. I'll probably let it continue to grow just to see what happens. (I have a small fire pit I'll use to dispose of all the plant matter and trash the pot(s) and soil to start fresh next year in case it is a disease.)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Magnesium and manganese are two different things. Tomato plants also require manganese and usually it's in fertilizer but not always. If they are lacking manganese the leaves start turning yellow with the veins staying green, like those you have in the picture. Eventually they will get brown spots and so on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I take my hat off to you @Acorner . If new gardeners all had your attitude to learning the tricks they would be doing themselves a favour. It is by making mistakes that we all learn best. Whatever you do, don't give up gardening. It is the very best and most rewarding pastime, and very useful foodwise when things get tough.
I wouldn't trash the pot if I were you - but then I'm a meanie, and always re use my pots. I just disinfect them between uses.
Be warned though, as long as you live and garden - there will always be something new to learn, and that for me at least is part of the joy of it all.

Reaction score
Country
Canada

Hate to break it to you but yes, I was in conversation about it with the OP so yes, someone was talking to me. It's a public forum, this is the second time now you took a temper tantrum because you didn't like a response. First time was because I "gave too much information" using an AI. You do realise you can simply skip reading something if you don't want to read it and leave it up to others to decide if they want to read it or not?

As far as the question asking if the OP smokes, it was obviously a very random sounding question left with no following explanation after it as to why it was asked. Common sense would indicate people would be curious why you asked that. Mosaic is mostly spread now by insects and sometimes weeds, it's very rare these days to be from smoking a cigarette.

As far "my drug habit" it's a long weekend, get with the times. Many people sometimes enjoy a few beer, sometimes cannabis, it doesn't make them alcoholics or junkies lol. Just because you are stuck in past doesn't mean the rest of society is.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What potting mix are you using?
It is called back to the roots potting mix. I purchased it at walmart.
I take my hat off to you @Acorner . If new gardeners all had your attitude to learning the tricks they would be doing themselves a favour. It is by making mistakes that we all learn best. Whatever you do, don't give up gardening. It is the very best and most rewarding pastime, and very useful foodwise when things get tough.
I wouldn't trash the pot if I were you - but then I'm a meanie, and always re use my pots. I just disinfect them between uses.
Be warned though, as long as you live and garden - there will always be something new to learn, and that for me at least is part of the joy of it all.
Thank you very much. I knew the first run wasn't going to be pretty but I'm determined to get things right next year and am always eager to learn. I definitely wont be giving up anytime soon as gardening has quickly become my favorite hobby and fresh tomatoes are my favorite snack. My mother used to grow the pink Brandywines and they were some of the best I've ever had. I'll send you a picture next year of my progress if you'd like

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is called back to the roots potting mix. I purchased it at walmart.

Thank you very much. I knew the first run wasn't going to be pretty but I'm determined to get things right next year and am always eager to learn. I definitely wont be giving up anytime soon as gardening has quickly become my favorite hobby and fresh tomatoes are my favorite snack. My mother used to grow the pink Brandywines and they were some of the best I've ever had. I'll send you a picture next year of my progress if you'd like
I shall look forward to that. I think my most favourite crop was a couple of years ago when I grew San Marzanos. They make wonderful sauces. This year it was what Zigs had left over, and all the plants turned out to be cherry tomatoes :rolleyes: nothing to get your teeth into. I have dehydrated and salted them - which kept me out of mischief for ages.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are using city or well water with the fertilizer then it most likely contains enough calcium and magnesium and most other micronutrients, at least this is true in most parts of the USA. Your in Georgia so I suspect you have hard water. If your using water softened water, then stop that and use straight tap water.

Also The pH of the potting mix could be too low causing magnesium lockout. I don't see it happening to only that one plant but you could check the pH of the potting mix to rule it out.

@Tetters is right. Tobacco Mosiac Virus can be spread by insect bites. I think that is what he was getting at with the "do you smoke" angle. Are there any tobacco fields nearby? I haven't seen a tobacco field in years around here. There may be a cycle between bug and some other type of plant that keeps it going in your area. Using a persons burnt pile of "trash" for the ash that contains cigarettes butts may also contain the virus.

Ask a Question