Weed control in a large bed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That's why I mentioned the landscape fabric. I'm definitely not using RoundUp.
Heavy mulch and vinegar sprayed to kill any vegetation that pops up. May have to spray frequently at first, but eventually it will get there and no harmful chemicals or bending over.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I will use a weedeater, and chew the earth, and progressively go to pulling and then move to shears and scissors as I get close to roots. Squash roots are horrible about being disturbed. I have a 18 inch 3 finger spring tined detail itcher passed to me by my FIL that I like. Also, I got a weed torch for bigger areas this month, but it probably works best on heavy weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'd be weary of the weed torch in there. Any dry leaves or grass and the whole thing goes up! I about set my hole lawn on fire that way. Great for driveways and sidewalks, risky in beds with mulch or dry grass/leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'd be weary of the weed torch in there. Any dry leaves or grass and the whole thing goes up! I about set my hole lawn on fire that way. Great for driveways and sidewalks, risky in beds with mulch or dry grass/leaves.
Well yes, but a weed torch is used on live weeds. The moisture is necessary to explode the waterways of the plant. It is not a wildfire setup like you would think. My neighbors would not appreciate the smoke from a burn as well. I have actually used a plumbers torch in close but it is safer and better to pull and cut close with scissors near the roo, or bury weeds even than use mechanical of heat energy. I saw an electrical weed zapper on a big tractor and would love a small one. A taser mounted to a metal rod peerhaps?

If they are dead its is not a control issue but more just cleanup or recycle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well yes, but a weed torch is used on live weeds. The moisture is necessary to explode the waterways of the plant. It is not a wildfire setup like you would think. My neighbors would not appreciate the smoke from a burn as well. I have actually used a plumbers torch in close but it is safer and better to pull and cut close with scissors near the roo, or bury weeds even than use mechanical of heat energy. I saw an electrical weed zapper on a big tractor and would love a small one. A taser mounted to a metal rod peerhaps?

If they are dead its is not a control issue but more just cleanup or recycle.

I use one as well, on live weeds. Problem is there is almost always dead grass or Weds nearby. That's why I don't recommend it on anything other than driveways or sidewalks.

Ask a Question