Watermelons

Reaction score
Country
United States
I tried the Sugar Baby twice in my early days. Never got a good one but at that time I was a novice. My buddy here also had problems with the Sugar Baby. Maybe environment played a role. During my novice years the Crimson Sweets did better for me. They seemed easier to grow or at least I thought so. Since then I have been saving seed and year after year they got better and better.

Crimsons are a lot bigger so a bigger center section which is the sweetest part.

On another note that vine does not look very healthy. I might be wrong but the leaves are not big or bushy and they look curled. Curling is usually do to heat or lack of water. However, it might be a smaller less bushy vine since its a smaller melon.

These are the leaves on my Crimson Sweet WM. They don't look no where as good as last year. I can tell I wont get a 40 pounder or maybe even a 30. Maybe a high 20 pounder. 30 pounder if I can manage to feed it better.

MOD
Those look so pretty!!!

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Which is better?
Crimson Sweet or Sugar Baby?
Ever try a seedless variety? The Harvest Moon scores just above 14 on my Brix meter, and that's indicative of very high sweetness. It needs a pollinator and "seedless" might be better described as "less seeds. "

It is very productive this year.

Attachments

• watermelon 2.JPG
    watermelon 2.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ever try a seedless variety? The Harvest Moon scores just above 14 on my Brix meter, and that's indicative of very high sweetness. It needs a pollinator and "seedless" might be better described as "less seeds. "

That color is awesome. Crimsons are more of a pinkish or light red color.

MOD

Attachments

• 20211021_210018.jpg
    20211021_210018.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 6

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

It is very productive this year

Only crimson sweet or Charleston gray would grow for me.
That's the prettiest color fruit I've ever seen on a melon. I might have to see how they grow in Kentucky next spring!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Went outside to check the melon patch this afternoon with the sun shining ever so bright. The leaves started to curl. I wasn't sure if it was lack of water with the sun out shinning strong. Sun is not shining bright anymore on this spot so now I'm sure it is lack of water. It looked a but worse this afternoon.

Great example of it needing water for sure. Thought I would share.

Watermelon and canteloupe.

MOD

Attachments

• 20230722_173135.jpg
    20230722_173135.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230722_173034.jpg
    20230722_173034.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 6

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Even though I've been harvesting right along, too many at once today. i need to do a better job keeping up with these.

watermelon 10.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Even though I've been harvesting right along, too many at once today. i need to do a better job keeping up with these.

View attachment 98894
You just need to juice them. It is absolutley my favorite thing to do with my WM. Another thing that people hate me for is just eat the best part which is the center.

Great problem to have.

MOD

Attachments

• 20221009_144123.jpg
    20221009_144123.jpg
    432.1 KB · Views: 5

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
What is your juicing technique? I've never tried that but need to do something similar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What is your juicing technique? I've never tried that but need to do something similar.
I used to do it by hand thinking the juicer would compromise the flavor. After so many melons my hand would be sore. I use a juicer now but only juice the inside along with the seeds, no peel. You get way more juice and it is a lot easier and the taste is the same. Less mess to clean up too.

If you ever tried the watermelon juice sold at the store it is horrible compared to freshly squeezed WM. I only buy the store WM juice when I don't have any melons because I now miss my WM juice. Makes the freshly WM juice taste so much better too. Just make sure you have a bathroom close by. 😂 I juiced a store bought melon last week because I couldn't wait. It Didn't taste to good.

WM juice is such a treat and look forward to every August which is just around the corner. I'm going to juice a canteloupe this year and see if its worth while.

Try by hand and if you like it invest in a juicer it will be worth it for you because of the abundance of melons you have. I only use the juicer for WMs nothing else. Be careful, you might end up buying WM juice at the store when you run out of melons.

MOD

Attachments

• 20211020_215036.jpg
    20211020_215036.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211018_215658.jpg
    20211018_215658.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211021_210018.jpg
    20211021_210018.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Man, you two have some beautiful melons. I'll have to pick your all's brain next spring for tips.
I'm good at growing vines but very few melons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Man, you two have some beautiful melons. I'll have to pick your all's brain next spring for tips.
Thats what this forum is for. It took time for me to get things right. The last 4 years have been excellent. First couple where pretty disappointing and get better as time goes on. Its been about 10 years now. I tried so many varities and I think the key is figure out which ones grows best for you.

WMs are greedy feeder just like most vines. They just want to grow and grow. They need lots of fertilzer to keep up with their growth. I killed a few plants figuring it out early on with synthetic. Once it warms up around May in my zone I fertilize the WM soil. Then in June at planting add more. Organic takes time to break down. My research saids about 30 days above 60F. With that in mind by the time I plant the fertilizer is available for the plant to absorb. The additional fertiler will be avialble in 30 days. Its a way for contanst feeding for 2 months.

Soft fluffy soil is also key. I mix perlite, vermiculite and sand with potting soil. In addition to hold moisture I use a raised bed but burry it to ground level. When I tried this it made such a big difference. It holds mositure so much better and the soil and fertilzer is contained.

MOD

Attachments

• 20230530_200213.jpg
    20230530_200213.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230718_195619.jpg
    20230718_195619.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 7

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Who knows what next spring will bring...so I'll offer up a few of the techniques I use while you're interested:

1) It starts with great soil that is rich in organic matter, ph 6 or slightly higher, and as close to "No N-P-K required" as you can get it without synthetics. I do not feed during the growing process rather rely entirely on the nutrients that have been "preloaded" prior to planting.

2) I prefer to direct seed watermelon. It does not transplant well, IMO. I seed only when soil temps get reliably above 65 deg. F. Early cold stunted watermelon plants never recover to where they should have been, in my experience.

3) I use raised rows/hills to ensure good drainage and to aid holding the sun’s heat longer early in the season.

4) Watermelon needs 1 to 2 inches of water per week while young, but after fruit set the water needs to be considerably reduced. Dry weather produces the sweetest melon, but you can't always control that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Who knows what next spring will bring...so I'll offer up a few of the techniques I use while you're interested:

1) It starts with great soil that is rich in organic matter, ph 6 or slightly higher, and as close to "No N-P-K required" as you can get it without synthetics. I do not feed during the growing process rather rely entirely on the nutrients that have been "preloaded" prior to planting.

2) I prefer to direct seed watermelon. It does not transplant well, IMO. I seed only when soil temps get reliably above 65 deg. F. Early cold stunted watermelon plants never recover to where they should have been, in my experience.

3) I use raised rows/hills to ensure good drainage and to aid holding the sun’s heat longer early in the season.

4) Watermelon needs 1 to 2 inches of water per week while young, but after fruit set the water needs to be considerably reduced. Dry weather produces the sweetest melon, but you can't always control that.
Totally agree with all. I do both transplant that are started indoors. Most of the seeds are diect sow.

WM do not like their roots disturbed. My growing season is short so transplanting helps me get melon in August I alway lose a few of the transplants.

MOD

Ask a Question