Victoria Plum Tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
every year we suffer the dreaded larvae in the fruit. Those plums infected with this fy ripen early. We've tried sticky patches round the tree applied in October but they are not working. Strangely, the flowers of daffodils I planted underneath the tree get eaten when they bloom as well. Any suggestions? The fruits are really delicious - those we can harvest.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Not easy.
Remove infested fruits promptly and bin or burn them before the caterpillar leaves the fruit to overwinter under loose flakes of bark. Use plum-moth-pheromone traps from late May to late August to disrupt mating and so reduce the quantity of caterpillars.
Hoe round the base of the tree and leave the soil bare so that birds may eat the overwintering larva.
The narcissus are being attacked by something else not plum moth.
Try spraying the tree with Vitax Winter Tar oil wash to kill of any eggs in the bark.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
that's very helpful, thanks. But strange coincidence as the other daffodils around the garden don't suffer the same fate,.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pheromone trap worked for us. I get snails eating my daffodil flowers, iron based slug pellets should solve that, but I have enough naturalised daffs I am willing to sacrifice some.

Ask a Question