Trans planting Maples.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Got all kinds of Maples the crimson kings and comon sugar Maples from allowing rhe seeds to blow up againest barriers and grow.

Some are as tall as 6' but most are in the 18 inch range.
I cleared (grass & weeds)a spot out about 30' wide sort of tear shaped 75' deep.

Is it best to do the transplanting with leaves on or Off?

Thinking now would be the best time as rain is in the forecast for Wednesday.

I would water them once in the ground just the same.

:D Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got all kinds of Maples the crimson kings and comon sugar Maples from allowing rhe seeds to blow up againest barriers and grow.

Some are as tall as 6' but most are in the 18 inch range.
I cleared (grass & weeds)a spot out about 30' wide sort of tear shaped 75' deep.

Is it best to do the transplanting with leaves on or Off?

Thinking now would be the best time as rain is in the forecast for Wednesday.

I would water them once in the ground just the same.

The best time to transplant trees is when they are dormant, so I'd say when the leaves have all dropped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
We moved 3 Maples about 30 years ago. gave them to a friend. They were about 6 foot tall each, had leaves on them. I recall the leaves were on them. It was nice weather still. They took well at my friends house. the only thing they had to do was use poles to hold them in place until the roots grabbed into the ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes stake them for a year or so. Dormant replanting, but if they are small and you get a lot of rootball it should be fine. I would shape them after they start showing their habit in a few years.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In the bonsai world we usually repot or dig them in the spring. You will know the right time by watching the buds on the branches. When they begin to swell it’s time to dig. All the energy stored in the roots during the winter is now on its way up the tree. I cut the tap root so it is easier to get the feeder roots out undisturbed. It is the finer roots that feed the tree so the less damage to them the better. As stated above, support the tree for at least a year, two is better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Due to necessity, I transplanted this one we'd had for only a couple of years 32 years ago in the middle of summer, shortly after I took the photo. I was in the middle of building our tea-house and it was in the way. I moved it to the front garden and it didn't have much of a root ball. I pruned it to a more regular shape. It struggled a bit but I watered it every night and left it to fend for itself.

06_10_6.JPEG

This was it earlier this year. I chop about six inches off it all the way round each year, to keep it to this size. There's also always one or two branches that "bolt." There's a few starting already.

P1020839.JPG

I think maples are a bit of a survivor. But as has been said, leave them until they are dormant if you can, move them late on in November before the ground gets hard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we moved the three of them when we moved in to our home. why the prior owners had planted them who knows as there were already 22 trees in the front yard. they were silver maples. enough leaves .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I tipped a small one out front. They definitely get bushier. They must have a lot of energy trying to get out of the tips of the branches because it did not take long to come out sideways after I trimmed the tips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your so close up there I would do it if you got the time .
I had to dig up this red maple a month ago in the high 90s I just sat it in the shade wrapped it in plastic until I find a home for it . They are tough

6932CDDF-B5DF-496E-85FF-E3AF01CE43F5.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Going to wait till the leaves drop. How ever I am working the area where I am going to plant them up. with no grass to start with the competting for moisture and nutrition should give them a better start.

Ask a Question