The Isle of Man

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A couple of members have shown interest in my island home so I thought it may be a good idea to start this thread. If you want to ask questions along the way I'm happy to answer them. I will point out that I am not Manx but English and adopted the island as my home more than 20 years ago.

To give you a map reference of sorts the island is located in the middle of the Irish Sea to the east of Ireland and slightly north west of the city of Liverpool in England. It is approximately 33miles/53km in length and 13 miles/21km in width.

Mann is how we refer to it when not giving it it's full name. It is not part of the United Kingdom or the European Union so is addressed as part of the British Isles. Mann is semi-independent with it's own government (Tynwald) which is said to be the oldest government in the world. However, the island is owned by the crown and has a Governor appointed by Queen Elizabeth II residing here.

The island is home to the famous T.T. (Tourist Trophy) road motorcycle races which occur for two weeks every year during late May early June. Now, an assortment of pictures to give you an idea of the island.....

Douglas is our capital but not a city. Below Douglas bay and harbour.
178.JPG

On the west of the island is the city of Peel and it's castle on St. Patricks Isle. Built in the 11th century by Vikings.
043.JPG

The Laxey Wheel, the largest working waterwheel in the world. A link for information........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laxey_Wheel

063.JPG

064.JPG

270.JPG

272.JPG

Not the clearest of pictures but this is Snaefell mountain, the island's only mountain.
048.JPG

050.JPG

And to finish for the time being a taste of the T.T. races.
111 T.T. 2014.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Smashing Sheal :)

Is it true that cats have no tails over there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Snaeffel? Isn't that the name of the Iceland crater/volcano in Jules Verne's Journey to the Middle of Earth?

Wow. Beautiful Isle. Thank you for sharing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Now that's why I love this forum so much! I'll never get to see the Isle of Man in person, but with your photos and descriptions, I feel I have been there. May I ask how big the Isle is? With all that gorgeous scenery in all its variety, it must be bigger than I imagined.
Thank you for the pictures, descriptions, and tour of your lovely adopted homeland.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
VACATION!!!!!! Wow, I never even heard of your island. It is so gorgeous. I have put it down as a future destination one day. I have a list of places I want to see before I croak.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Snaeffel? Isn't that the name of the Iceland crater/volcano in Jules Verne's Journey to the Middle of Earth?

It is, the Vikings influenced the place names more than the Brits did :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
May I ask how big the Isle is?

To give you a map reference of sorts the island is located in the middle of the Irish Sea to the east of Ireland and slightly north west of the city of Liverpool in England. It is approximately 33miles/53km in length and 13 miles/21km in width.

The down side of living here is the summers are not hot with a maximum temperature of usually no more than 25C/77F. It can be wet and/or windy for weeks on end particularly during the winter months with gale force winds. However, being closely surrounded by the sea this helps to keep the winter temperatures warmer and we rarely experience temperatures below freezing point during the day. Overnight usually -5C/23F is the lowest.

Kevin, you would be more than welcome to visit and I'd give you a guided tour. :)

To give this thread a bit of a gardening theme, here are pictures taken in Douglas the island's capital. The few towns that we have on the island are decorated every year with plants. These pictures are around the harbour area.

169.JPG

173.JPG

These plants are on a road lift bridge that spans the inner and outer harbour.
172.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love the willow weavings Sheal :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Love the willow weavings Sheal

D'you know Zigs it didn't occur to me it was willow. :oops:

I can see the Isle of Man from my static caravan on the shore of Luce Bay.

With binoculars we could see each other wave headfullofbees. :)I took this picture three years ago of Scotland from the island, unfortunately my lens wasn't strong enough for the distance and it was a hazy day. I have more recently bought a second camera with better zoom and hope to get some better shots.

199.JPG

Would I be right in saying your caravan is in Galloway? May I ask what you think of the Galloway and Dumfries area please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Absolutely lovely.

I have not been on the atlantic since I was 9 months old. Believe I was still exploring the other end of my thumb and how it could comfort me and failed to notice the scenery.

Mum brought me and my 3 older siblings on the QE to see her mum in Darlington.

Have pics. Must sometime post - they are a genuine shot of me with no wrinkles!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
D'you know Zigs it didn't occur to me it was willow. :oops:

With binoculars we could see each other wave headfullofbees. :)I took this picture three years ago of Scotland from the island, unfortunately my lens wasn't strong enough for the distance and it was a hazy day. I have more recently bought a second camera with better zoom and hope to get some better shots.

View attachment 5220

Would I be right in saying your caravan is in Galloway? May I ask what you think of the Galloway and Dumfries area please?
It is.
I don't know the Dumfries area too well, (Annan is a lovely little town) but Galloway is a wonderful place.
Totally undeveloped, my wife and I walk on the sandy beaches in summer with not another soul in sight.
In the nearest town (Port William) the only restaurant opens only at the weekend out of summer, and even then last orders is at 8:30 pm.
It's very quiet. Peaceful. Idyllic. Just what I love.
We also have many, many oyster catchers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Lori, there are plenty more pictures if anyone is interested but I don't want to bore you all!

Now that's what I like to hear headfullofbees it sounds like the perfect getaway! I'm hoping to holiday in Galloway later in the year. :)The Oystercatchers have definitely sold it to me. :D

Ask a Question