Sweet Pea growth in Ohio?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi guys,

I bought a soap that smells like violets and sweet peas and am surprised with how much I like the scent. It got me thinking about trying to grow both flowers, but I know sweet peas are tricky and heat sensitive. Are they worth the effort to try to grow in zone 6? Can I bring them indoors if they’re in a container with an attached trellis maybe? I doubt I could, but who knows! Clearly not I :shy:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I grow them every year in Texas...in cool weather of spring. No reason I can see why they wouldn't thrive in much cooler growing zones such as yours.

Indoors...might be tricky to get the light right.

sugar snaps.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Australia
For some reason, about a half century ago, five families in Gawler (South Australia) competed to grow the best sweet peas. They ended up leading the world in sweet peas flowers. So, I grow them, and the long stems are great for indoor displays. We grow them in our frost-free winters.
Good peas Meadowlark - all you have to do now is shell them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Peas do well here in Ohio but they do Peter out during the summer. It does get too warm for them.

Plant them now, harvest regularly then a second planting late summer early fall.
If you want to bring them indoors, realize you'll need a trellis 4 to 8 feet tall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Peas do well here in Ohio but they do Peter out during the summer. It does get too warm for them.

Plant them now, harvest regularly then a second planting late summer early fall.
If you want to bring them indoors, realize you'll need a trellis 4 to 8 feet tall.
I worried about that indoor trellis...alright, I should get on trying to find the flowers, then!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I do like sweet peas, but I have a short growing season, basically in the winter, which seems long to me, but in reality it's very short.

Ask a Question