Struggling Portuguese Laurel hedge

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi there,

I've a Portuguese Laurel hedge that seems to be struggling. It's 12 years old. Thrived for about 8 years but then started to lose its leaves in autumn and got steadily worse since. It's now developed a lichen on the branches, see pictures. Any suggestions on how to treat this and put some life back in to the hedge would be appreciated

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Pics attached here

Attachments

• IMG_20240419_112453.jpg
    IMG_20240419_112453.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240419_112448.jpg
    IMG_20240419_112448.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is clearly a beard lichen on there, but the pictures are not clear enough for me to decide what the rest is. Are you certain that it's lichen, because I suspect that it could possibly be scale insects.
I can also see spots on the leaves, which may be shothole caused by fungal problems, to which the laurels are prone. Shears and pruners need to always be disinfected regularly.
You could look up the scale to identify it if it is there, or look carefully for little insects that behave a bit like limpets on rocks!
If that was my hedge, I would (with extra clean tools) cut the whole lot down to almost nothing, burn all of it immediately, and allow it to regrow - cleaning thoroughly the surrounding soil of all dropped leaves and debris.
I did just that with some other shrubs in my own garden a few years ago, and now they are full of vigour again. It might be worth a try.
By the way, Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks for getting back to me. Yeah, first time on a gardening forum. I know nothing! The hedge is about 6 foot high and almost 100m long. It would be a shame, and a lot of work to cut it down. Are there any less dramatic things to try first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well hopefully someone else will come up with another idea, but the only other thing I can think of is get rid of it altogether and plant something different. Even then the area would need a good clean up. The spores would stay in the soil, and that would entail even more work. Sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jon, I really wish I could have given you better opinions, but I have to say it how I see it.
Once you have the loppers out, it may not be such a bad job - just be very careful at this time of year to look for and leave any nesting birds alone. There may well be areas to miss out at this stage and you won't want to cause the nesting any disruption.
When I was younger and fitter I used to do my seemingly miles of hedges in the winter months, and I quite enjoyed it, sometimes even working in the rain.
I wish you all the luck of the Irish with your results, and would be interested to know how you are getting on.......just wish I could lend a hand.
I've always enjoyed a good bonfire 😊....🔥

Ask a Question