Sloping garden needs a level area

Reaction score
We have just moved house and for the first time we have a sloping garden. We need to create a space for outside dining but can't afford to level the whole area. I don't know whether to build something up with decking or dig down and put in some sort of retaining wall. I'm looking for some inspiration and ideally something that blends in and doesn't look too artificial. What ideas have other people come up with?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That would depend on how much of a slope you have .Retaining wall block if done more than 4 high will need lots of drainage behind which means drain pipe drain cloth and lots of gravel .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If the slope is running towards the house in heavy rains it could cause problems for your foundation .

Reaction score
The garden slopes sideways to the house and runs towards next door's vegetable garden. It is quite steep so I think we'll be going for the building up option.

100_0549.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I would catch the level with a deck, and terrace it on down in steps as needed
i would go wild if i had a slope

Reaction score
Thanks, I think we'll build it up, the view will be better then as well. If we put in wide steps I can stand all my pots there too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I love sloped areas. I think they add interest. I would start with some nice wide stairs next to the foundation of the house putting in the drain tiles to avoid foundation/water problems. Then doing your fill and/or levels will add so much eye candy and planting options.

When I did ours I started at the bottom moving soil up creating a flat area bed and walkway at the bottom. For my first terraced area I used soil from below. With the new more natural looking stacking terracing blocks once your foundation bricks are set it goes pretty quick. I built the terrace this time last year .
image.jpg
and the other photo is how it looked at the end of summer. It starts at a foot tall and goes up to 2 1/2 feet. This winter it has started growing moss like my older terraced beds.
image.jpg
This spring photo with early blooming hellebores
image.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The terraced levels on slope are so appealing, I often wish I had a slope so that I could plant in levels. We have a steep slope in the front of the house but I am not allowed to make it gardening area just grass in the front.

Ask a Question