Shrubs leaning after tree fell

Reaction score
Country
United States
DSCF0144.JPG
DSCF0142.JPG
Recently in New Jersey we had two big snow storms back to back during the first storm my tree split in half and landed on the 10 foot bushes. Does anyone out there knows if the bushes will straighten up on their own, the tree
was removed off the bushes and they are still leaving over does it take a while for them bounce back up?
DSCF0142.JPG
View attachment 33644 View attachment 33644
Here are some images it seems that the middle of the bushes are holding some of the other branches down, do you think I should prune them down and will they come back. Also when is the best time to prune in we are dealing with 40 degrees during the day and the mid to high 20's some nights in NJ. Shall I wait to prune back till they start budding more and the weather gets warmer?
I do not want to do any more damage to them..Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you know the name of the trees, you can google about their pruning. They will certainly be straighten up if you can prune them properly.

Here's from RHS and deciduous trees, which I believe they are!

When to prune trees

Deciduous trees
Deciduous trees (ones that lose their leaves in winter) are usually pruned in autumn and winter. In some cases, for example with magnolias and walnuts, pruning is best done in late summer, as healing is quicker.

Trees such as Prunus sp, which are prone to silver leaf disease are best pruned from April to July when the disease spores are not on the wind, and the tree sap is rising rather than falling (which pushes out infection rather than drawing it in).

Some trees can bleed sap if pruned in late winter and early spring. Although seldom fatal, this is unsightly and can weaken the tree. Birches and walnuts often bleed if pruned at the wrong time. Summer pruning can be useful to check over-vigorous growth, for example in suckering species of Populus, or restricted forms of fruit such as espalier apples. This pruning is generally light, and is carried out late enough not to promote new growth. Similarly, healthy trees will generally tolerate minor pruning in the summer months, for example, corrective pruning to raise hanging branches, or removing weak growth, which can be easier to assess in full leaf.

Best is to find out their names and google from reputable sources!

Ask a Question