Seed frenzy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, I'm so jealous! I wish I could grow all those things. Sadly my dreams have been rather dashed by the reality that no matter what I try I can't get enough sun to grow anything edible.
I can really relate - although my lack of being able to grow edibles has nothing to do with lack of sun. I don't know why, I can grow flowers beautifully, but just can't get the "kitchen" garden to do much. I get a few tomatoes, one year the peppers did reasonable well, but other than that, it just ain't happenin'. Anybody else have this problem? Or is it just me :confused:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I can really relate - although my lack of being able to grow edibles has nothing to do with lack of sun. I don't know why, I can grow flowers beautifully, but just can't get the "kitchen" garden to do much. I get a few tomatoes, one year the peppers did reasonable well, but other than that, it just ain't happenin'. Anybody else have this problem? Or is it just me :confused:

Could be a ph problem, have you tested the soil? Veg usually likes it alkaline. Also needs fertiliser like well rotted manure and compost digging in :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Could be a ph problem, have you tested the soil? Veg usually likes it alkaline. Also needs fertiliser like well rotted manure and compost digging in :)
I never thought of that, I'll have to do a soil test. Maybe it's not me after all - yeah!! (I'm doing the happy dance). I've always wanted a nice kitchen garden, and have always been disappointed. It would be nice if it was something as simple as adding a little manure. Of course, my husband is full of #@%^ - does that count??

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
:D You can compost most organic stuff, but husbands do tend to make the heap a target for rodents.

You can buy garden lime to raise the ph, few handfuls per square yard, but not on the potatoes as it encourages potato scab :)

Let us know how you get on with the testing first though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Galmal, we get our vegetable garden soil tested every 4-5 years. We go to our county agent, get a soil test kit, send it off to a university, and get the results. We know if we are low on essential nutrients. See if Tennessee offers a comparable service.
I don't recommend composting spouses, nor their output. My spouse is much more useful as a tiller and hole digger, and his output would not help any plant that I want to grow!

Last edited:

Ask a Question