School Greenhouse help

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am completely new to greenhouses and my base knowledge has grown leaps and bounds since being thrust into the position of STEM teacher for my school. I have also been put in charge of our greenhouse which has not been used since it was built five years ago (I just started at the school this year). I'm not sure it can even be called a greenhouse right now as there is nothing in it but pea gravel and cinder blocks. No electricity or wiring at all.

I guess what I'm looking for help wise, is what I need for this to work as a educational resource for students. I've been told I need an environmental control, but all the ones I can find seem like they would work for a large commercial greenhouse, this isn't that at all. I already have someone coming out to install an underground meter for electricity, but then I suppose I need to hire someone to run wire throughout the greenhouse? Do I need to get the environmental control unit before I hire the electrician so he can get it set-up? I'm just very lost and confused and could use a compass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I am completely new to greenhouses and my base knowledge has grown leaps and bounds since being thrust into the position of STEM teacher for my school. I have also been put in charge of our greenhouse which has not been used since it was built five years ago (I just started at the school this year). I'm not sure it can even be called a greenhouse right now as there is nothing in it but pea gravel and cinder blocks. No electricity or wiring at all.

I guess what I'm looking for help wise, is what I need for this to work as a educational resource for students. I've been told I need an environmental control, but all the ones I can find seem like they would work for a large commercial greenhouse, this isn't that at all. I already have someone coming out to install an underground meter for electricity, but then I suppose I need to hire someone to run wire throughout the greenhouse? Do I need to get the environmental control unit before I hire the electrician so he can get it set-up? I'm just very lost and confused and could use a compass.
First of all, we need to know where you are located. Please update your profile. Just click on your name and then click Account details. Then just fill in the appropriate boxes. Some places are much colder than others and this will enable the greenhouse gardeners to know what kind of heat is required.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Right, sorry. I was typing fast. The school is located in Warren, Michigan. We don't plan on it operating year round, but at least spring summer and fall (though summer is mainly going to be used by girl scouts).

Ask a Question