Sacred Herb

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I'm wanting to grow Piper Auritum, it is "an aromatic culinary herb in the pepper family Piperaceae"
I have no experience growing a plant of the Piperaceae varieties.

A little bit of background,
I will be using a 175 watt metal halide horticulture grow light from HTGSUPPLY, the light will be on 24 hours.

I was thinking of doing a bubble bucket, but I wasn't sure how to cradle the seedling, which brings me to my next challenge.

If I take cuttings of the leafs of the piper auritum, do I need a humidity dome to house these clones? Or would it be best to place cuttings into 3"-4" rockwool cubes and then transplant them to my bubble bucket?

What about going from seeds? Can anyone comment on this? And if this was the case, would I need to use a 11x22 tray with humidity dome for the seedlings?
I'd imagine it'd be best and most cost effective to place the seeds or cuttings into rockwool and then go into hydroton of the bubble bucket once sprouted. But still not sure if these cuttings or seedlings need a humidity dome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have lately been taking cuttings and putting them on the edge of a Pot with no Fertilizer. Then once they root plant them in a Pot with soil and some Fertilizer. The idea of putting them on the edge is you water the bottom of the stem not the top. It is working well.

Now that it is getting cooler I'm using my Greenhouse but before I had them in Sunshine 4 which is to be kept wet. Outside they did great.

Now as far as you can use a Dome. I have heard of some using a Clear Tote , watering and put the Lid on and basically leave be until they root.

big rockpile

Ask a Question