Rakes?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there such a thing as a power rake? If not, may I please have a recommendation for the best gardening rake for raking up dead moss? Thanks for any help!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sounds like you may be looking for what we call a scarifier in the UK, from the looks of Amazon.com they're called a dethatcher over in the USA.

If you get a mains power one, give it a test before going over your grass - I used one a few years ago and it took moss, grass and everything with it (it was too powerful for our dried out lawn!).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I always look for a springbok rack when having to remove moss from grass its my tool of choice for moss although a lawn scarifying mower can make more sense if the lawn is bigger than hand tools will handle in the time I have. A dethatcher rack is another good tool for promoting a thicker lawn although I cant comment to much on them as I have only pick one up and experimented with one once. But I tend to think there uses are more for thickening a lawn than removing moss. Ian is spot on, lawns away look bad after these tools have been used. A good feed and water after a light mowing and maybe a dressing of grass seed my be needed after racking

Ask a Question