Raised Garden

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a raised garden bed and now it is very thick with roots. This started a few years ago. Do I raise the bed higher or cut my loses and find another spot? It is extremely hard to get all the roots out. The roots appear to be using all the nutrients in the soil. The soil looks really good as far as organic matter but it is devoid of nutrients. The PH is good though. Last year I added bone meal, kelp meal, and other natural nutrients. The plants grew better than the year before but still haven't grown like they have in the past.

I was also thinking of using fabric pots as well instead of garden bed. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So roots are growing into the raised bed from somewhere outside the bed? If so the only thing you can do is eliminate the roots at their source or move the raised bed. I had to stop using most of my inground garden and am now using fabric pots. They work well as long as you have large enough pots. I have found tomatoes do much better in the 10 gallon size than the 7 gallon and peppers do good in 7 gallon pots. I haven't used the shallow depth pots yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea roots are probably from a 35 foot Colorado Blue Spruce about 10 feet away. I think I will try the 7 gal and 10 gal fabric pots.

Ask a Question