Pruning climbing roses.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a newby gardener with a question about climbing roses, I have six roses, five on vertical trellises and one on an arch. They grow well but end up with flowers and leaves on top of a six foot bare stem without side shoots, nothing. When I see features of climbing roses in books or magazines they show roses with an abundance of growth and flowers from ground to tip. What am I doing wrong - I can only guess it is my pruning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Paneer. :) Yes it is down to pruning. If you can provide us with some pictures they would help to give you advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Paneer.

Pruning can sometimes be or seem to be complicated. I have grown roses for many years. To be honest, might I suggest the RHS book. Pruning & Training. There are some s/h for sale on ebay around £3. Trust me. Well worth the money.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never top-climbing roses or ramblers, I only thin the canes when they become too dense with stems. Leaving between 4 to 8 canes can give you stunning plants.

Ask a Question