Poison ivy, a curse on humanity!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Please, oh please tell me why it's important. Nothing but a curse which I would gladly eradicate.
https://baynature.org/article/poison-oak-has-a-good-side-too/

It’s critical for natural ecosystems. Animals eat it and use it for shelter. It’s also a clearly symbiotic relationship with other plant species like oak trees, bringing in differing mycorrhizae and insects. It deters humans from walking up to the tree and chopping it down while simultaneously providing habitat for birds that repel dangerous insects. Things in nature aren’t “designed” to be for humans, they’re made to give and receive in balance with others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
lol, sorry Tomato Tango, not buying it. Sophie Dresser is so well known this is her only article. Doing web search on poison oak is symbiotic that is the only article that comes up. The only place where this information is referenced in this manner. Other articles refer to it as part of the ecosystem, but no where is it described as being of any use what so ever.

I however can think of a good use for it, being as I am sure most people are not like me and able to pull the stuff and not get the rash,......If you planted it on your fences it would deter most if not all want to be intruders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Every wild plant/insect/animal is a part of an ecosystem. The perspective that it’s “worthless” because it can give you a rash is to infer things like “sharks are bad because they can bite me and they should be exterminated,” without much thought into what impact it would have on the ecosystem.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
If poison oak is part of your believe system, based on one article by an author that has no other writing credits have at it.
Just expect people to do some research and call you out on it. Have a good day, with your poison oak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There has got to be a thousand other plants that accomplish the same things you mentioned and millions of oak trees going just fine without some positive come climbing it. I just don't see any critical function here.

It may have a function, but I think we would be just fine without it.

BTW,I have a much lower chance of getting better but a shark than I do getting a rash from poison ivy or oak.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My believe system? Are we now implying that observing nature is a religious process? Poison oak/ivy play an important role in their ecosystems, even if humans think they know better.

Do I have a problem with people getting rid of it in their yard? Of course not. But that doesn’t mean those plants don’t serve some sort of nonhuman purpose. Here’s 3 more sources I found in 2 minutes.

An ISA certifed arborist:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.saanoadventures.com/saanoadventures-blog/2016/3/24/the-surprising-importance-of-poison-oak?format=amp

A Biologist from Purdue:
https://www.quora.com/What-purpose-does-poison-ivy-serve-in-nature

“Poison ivy fruits, called drupes, are an important food for birds. Deer and insects eat the leaves.” -Smithsonian Botanists
https://insider.si.edu/2014/08/poison-ivy/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Give 'em a shovel, then just sit back and watch them dig.
So you take the time to destroy my 15 second Google search results and when I follow it up with 3 more reputable sources you imply you were trolling. Hilarious indeed!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You still don't get it.
Sure I do. You have absolutely no idea how to carry on an online conversation or debate and your English is broken. You attacked my source so when I post more then you decide you don’t like the game anymore. That’s immature and childish behavior better suited to political forums.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh I am so burned lol, you still do not get it.
Seeing as you brought up political, perhaps that is where you belong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh I am so burned lol, you still do not get it.
Seeing as you brought up political, perhaps that is where you belong.
You went off the deep end attacking my source and “believe systems” when I explained how poison oak has a purpose in nature. I posted more sources and you pretend you don’t care.

That’s not how normal people communicate ideas or behave. That’s juvenile. I’m not calling you names, I’m literally describing your behavior. If you didn’t want to talk about it, then don’t post. But attacking someone’s source then pretending you don’t care is trolling or inflammatory, at best.

Ask a Question