Please Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you please help me ID this Tree Disease that has become an issue in my garden over the last 2 year......

It starts off as white patches on the trunk/branches that spread and slowly kills the trees....these patches turn in a fungi type of growth that hardens in time to become very tough and sharp.....

the disease seems to effect some of the tree with leaving other sections fine? I remove the damaged parts hoping to save the remaining parts....but the tree always dies I have just cut down two 15 years old trees for firewood

please see photos

20230619_182854.jpg
20230619_182851.jpg
20230107_124045.jpg
20230107_124052.jpg
20230624_160126.jpg
20230619_182838.jpg

Kind Regards Tony

Reaction score
Country
United States
IF you look at where the trunk meets the soil you can see the plant is too deep in the ground. Also in the corner of a fence where wind flow is restricted giving perfect conditions for fungal attack. Mother Nature will kill the weak and diseased and no fungicide can stop that. I would just remove all the infected plants and consider replacing them with something more compatible with the location. Those are cooked.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Having the tree planted too deep and burying the root flare has weakened and stressed the tree over the years. The white patches and the fungus growing on the tree is only a by product and is NOT in itself harming the tree. That fungus feeds on dead and dying tissue. As @oneeye stated replace the trees and in doing so leave the root flare exposed on the new trees and this won't happen again. It is possible although not probable that you can save the tree if you remove the soil from around the base of the tree and expose the root flare.

Ask a Question