Plants for Hummingbirds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter lives in Canada and recently hung a feeder for Hummingbirds - which so far has attracted one bird. Are there any winter flowering shrubs or flowers that she can plant to attract more please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My daughter lives in Canada and recently hung a feeder for Hummingbirds - which so far has attracted one bird. Are there any winter flowering shrubs or flowers that she can plant to attract more please?
WINTER---no, they need to fly south to warmer places. I live in PA, I remove my feeder about end of September as they are leaving to fly south to warmer states and you don't want them to stay and get hurt by the winter weather. That is what a hummer does, they cannot tolerate cold winter climates. However, if your looking for plants in the spring for them to welcome them back there are a few, my Virginia Blue bells they like which is a very early flowering plant to have ready. Later there are the Bee Palms, some Phlox, Honeysuckle. And I am sure others have more to add.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Are there any winter flowering shrubs or flowers that she can plant to attract more please?

No. They won't be in Canada this time of year. They migrate south. They've been out of my area for about a month, and won't be back until at least mid-April. I imagine they'll reach Canada a couple weeks after that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Esther and JB. :) My daughter saw the hummingbird feeding three days ago, so it must be late leaving.

Edit: My daughter lives in British Columbia and says that the birds stay there all year round.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sheal, I found this https://www.wildliferescue.ca/2020/01/15/cold-snaps-a-risk-for-hummingbirds/

It seems that this particular bird stays put in winter in BC in spite of the cold. It seems to need human help just like our little birds do.
We have some good hidey holes in the ivy here in the log pile, and will begin to feed ours fat balls very soon.

Some suitable shrubs/trees for your daughter to plant:-
Daphne mezereum, Chimonanthus (wintersweet), Erica (winter flowering), Mahonia (winter sun), Cornus mas, Witch hazel.
Afterthought ! Winter flowering Viburnum (scented), Sarcococca (scented), Eleagnus ebbingei (scented)

Now you know what she`d like for Christmas ;)

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Esther and JB. :) My daughter saw the hummingbird feeding three days ago, so it must be late leaving.

Edit: My daughter lives in British Columbia and says that the birds stay there all year round.

Oh, I see. I was assuming it was the Ruby-throated hummingbird, which spans across most of the southern portion of Canada.

Twigs

Nature Hobbyist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone8
Country
United States
I live in north Louisiana. They leave us and head south. They come back around as early as March. We still get cold spells but that’s when we put the feeders back out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in north Louisiana. They leave us and head south. They come back around as early as March. We still get cold spells but that’s when we put the feeders back out.
The ones that stay in British Columbia for the winter are ''anna`s'' humming birds.
1605377335888.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Summer plants for Hummingbirds:
Cardinal Flower (Lobelia cardinalis)
Four O'Clocks

Ask a Question