Planting pickles or cucumbers on a wall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awhile ago, I saw a picture of how someone had made a hanging planter of sorts for growing cucumbers or pickles. Does anyone have pictures or plans for something of this sort?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do you mean like the upside down strawberry planter thing or just a hanging pot? I've never really thought of doing cucumbers like that. Sounds like a pretty good ideal. You would have to hang it about 8' off the ground though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think I know which picture you saw. Iirc it was a member here who had his cucumbers growing in the rafters of his greenhouse. I'm not sure what sort of container they were in.

That said, I grow mine vertically. Cucumbers will climb a trellis with minimal coaching. I don't put them in containers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think I know which picture you saw. Iirc it was a member here who had his cucumbers growing in the rafters of his greenhouse. I'm not sure what sort of container they were in.

That said, I grow mine vertically. Cucumbers will climb a trellis with minimal coaching. I don't put them in containers.
The post I saw had the trellis or whatever it was attached to a privacy fence.

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hi there. I have some experience of container's growing cucumbers on the window of a city apartment. It was 2020 when COVID started and my mom couldn't get to her garden by public transport. So we decided to grow cucumbers on the window of her flat.

5 liter bottles from water were used as containers. We did not make drainage holes at the bottom of the bottle, but put a layer of 1 inch of crushed eggshell on the bottom. This made it possible to control the amount of water when watering, and drain excess water.
2 holes were made at the top of the bottle - one for the plant (it is bordered with a rubber tube), the second for watering and fertilizing.
The plantation was separated from the apartment space by a plastic curtain.

coc-harvest.jpg

As the experiment showed, cucumbers develop a large root system, a 5-liter bottle is not enough for them.

coc_roots2.jpg
Also, the size of the window is not enough for the growth of the liane itself. And maybe sun was not enough (mom lives in USDA zone 4).

On the window, cucumbers grow about 1 centimeter per day. The harvest from 3 bushes in the greenhouse turns out to be 4 times more than from the same 3 bushes on the window. Nevertheless, there was a harvest, it turned out to eat and pickle.

It is better to grow self-pollinating varieties of cucumbers on the window, although bees and bumblebees flew into the open window.

Yes, you can use vertical gardening to grow cucumbers in containers, but IMHO a volume about of 10 liters of soil per bush is required if you wish a great harvest.

Attachments

• coc_size.jpg
    coc_size.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 10
  • coc-harvest2.jpg
    coc-harvest2.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 11
  • coc-harvest3.jpg
    coc-harvest3.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 10
  • coc-harvest4.jpg
    coc-harvest4.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
How effective are the 5litre containers?
Lights won't be an issue for me cause the roof gets 12hours of sunlight everyday
I have plenty of space in my rooftop

Reaction score
Country
Israel
How effective are the 5litre containers?
Lights won't be an issue for me cause the roof gets 12hours of sunlight everyday
I have plenty of space in my rooftop
I can't recall the harvest exactly, about 30 pieces of cucumbers per bush in 5 litre container. But:
- we had a direct sunlight abt 5-6 hrs daily. The upper part of the liane climbed into the shadow under the ceiling, despite we did try to put it down.
- soil was not very fertile, just what mom had at that time. Of course, we added fertilizers, but this is not the same in comparison with a real humus.
We planted 3 bushes, but one, for some reason, did not produce cucumbers at all (the seedlings were bought in a store, but this one was grown from an old seed).

I decided that 5 liters was not enough, just because the bottle was all filled with roots. Perhaps it is not a limitation if very fertile soil.
roots.jpg

But 5 litre plastic bottles are very convenient in use as container for growing (if it's not a landscape design).
bottle.jpg
The plant and maintenance wholes easily done with scissors. To protect the stem, а plastic pipe is placed on the plant's hole. One wall of the tube is cut along the length and the the incision is put on the edge of the plastic. Additionally fixes with a stapler.
If there is no plastic tube, you can simply bend the edge of the hole with pliers to get rid of the sharp edge.

It's a cheapest variant of container (if ), you can do a lot of them in one hour.

- the bottle has convenient handle for moving or hanging.
- transparent bottle gives a visual control of over-watering.
- the earth does not pour out of it and water does not pour out - floor will stay clean.
- you can water less often, since water does not evaporate from the surface of the soil.

Perhaps it makes sense to put a white plastic bag on the bottle - it will reflect the sun rays and the soil will not burn the roots.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome thread topic, I been thinking of doing something hanging from a hook. That sounds perfect a vine plant an even the way another member showed his would work perfectly for hanging WOW! Thanks for all the info. I may hang some from a tree also lol

Ask a Question