Pine tree dying

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my pine trees is dying and I'm hoping someone can tell me if I can save it. It is one of nine trees all in a row and probably 15' tall. I've had it for about 10 years since it was about 4' tall. In the fall I noticed the lower branches were turning brown. Now it is most of the tree except the very top, and that part is less green than the other trees. All the other trees are very healthy looking. I've attached a picture. Not sure what I can do. I'm in WI so it's just getting warm now.

Attachments

• tree.JPG
    tree.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 278
Reaction score
Country
United States
You have no info on your profile as to any geo info so generically we have to talk pine beetles.

I'm in southeastern WI. I've looked at the tree a bit and haven't seen any holes. Would I see those for pine beetles? Would pine beetles kill the tree from the bottom up like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Fungal or viral issue is my wild guess. If it can penetrate the root it will ride the vascular structure to the penthouse.

I googled this as "pine tree death wisconsin". There are other things too, like a moth that seems to be a desease vector. Close inspection of the tree to observe details and characteristics such as bark coming off will help to narrow it down.

https://news.cals.wisc.edu/2010/04/22/circles-of-death-spread-through-wisconsin-pines/

Ask a Question