Orchid - what should I do next

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

So I'm very new to plants in general. I have this orchid plant I've been growing about 4 months now (since January). I need help identifying the type of orchid plant so I can follow instructions on what to do with it next.

My camera is partially broken, but basically the red flowers have fallen off the stems and I'm left with black rotted balls at the end. I've read somewhere I might need to cut the stem off completely, however am unsure because I'm not certain on with orchid plant this is. The picture of the plant below was it about 3 months ago.

I've also brought an orchid drip feeder recently. Is it too late to start using this, and if not, when should I start using it?

Thanks in advance!

Archie

Attachments

• IMG_20180225_170155.jpg
    IMG_20180225_170155.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 318

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I believe that is an amaryllis.

Zooming in on the picture, I can also see a new shoot coming up in the middle. It may be forming a new bulb in there!! (y)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that is an amaryllis.

Zooming in on the picture, I can also see a new shoot coming up in the middle. It may be forming a new bulb in there!! (y)

Shall I cut the other stems off? All the flowers have fallen off and I'm left with green pumpkin looking things on the end that have turned black now. I've also got a drip feed, not sure when to use it though!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cut the flower stalk about 3 inches above the bulb. (Don't damage the little shoots in the middle! :))

You have only had it four months? Have you seen it with foliage? The green pumpkin looking things sound like seed pods. After you cut them off, pop them open, you might have seeds! (y)

I wouldn't use a drip feed with an amaryllis. But then, I don't use one for my orchid, either. :cautious: :confused:

I would put it in a bigger pot. Give it lots of sun. :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, MaryMary is right! Definitely Amaryllis and it is an indoor perennial.

if you want to know more! There are always different opinions. Some say small pot, some say bigger pot. Enjoy the video any way. If you want it to flower better next year, you can forget about the seed pod and chop it off as it takes a lot of energy for the plant to develop seeds. Also, seeds take years to grow into a proper plant and flower. So the choice is yours.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Definitely Amaryllis and it is an indoor perennial.

Mine are outside as long as the nights don't go below 60F/15C. I leave them out all summer. I've put them in full sun, I've put them in dappled shade. (y)

Ask a Question