Nonviable seeds irradiated by USPS from Amazon vendors.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have had to get refunds on all seeds I ordered from Amazon vendors because they were irradiated by shipment with the US Postal Service. Seeds I have shipped via UPS are not irradiated and viable. Amazon seed vendors refuse to ship via UPS in general ans I just wanted you to be aware. My neighbor grows heirloom varieties and he has had problems with Amazon including getting the wrong tomato varieties. I think this is important enough that Amazon now has to address this and the shippers need a dedicated "Live" dedicated shipping method.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Your first post and it seems to be a vendetta against Amazon.

I have ordered hundreds, thousands of seed orders from Amazon and never experienced this "irradiation" you speak of. Most all of my Amazon seed orders are delivered via UPS.

In fact, just today UPS delivered to my home seed orders from Amazon through Park Seed, Burpee, seeds4planting, Isla's garden, and Thresh seed.

The only problems I have had with Amazon seed is a couple of occasions where Amazon showed the seed delivered and it was not delivered. A simple e-mail to Amazon and each time they corrected the problem. I suspect a rural mail carrier helped themselves to the seeds, LOL.

I love Amazon and how it opens up huge markets to us in rural Texas that we could not otherwise utilize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your first post and it seems to be a vendetta against Amazon.

I have ordered hundreds, thousands of seed orders from Amazon and never experienced this "irradiation" you speak of. Most all of my Amazon seed orders are delivered via UPS.

In fact, just today UPS delivered to my home seed orders from Amazon through Park Seed, Burpee, seeds4planting, Isla's garden, and Thresh seed.

The only problems I have had with Amazon seed is a couple of occasions where Amazon showed the seed delivered and it was not delivered. A simple e-mail to Amazon and each time they corrected the problem. I suspect a rural mail carrier helped themselves to the seeds, LOL.

I love Amazon and how it opens up huge markets to us in rural Texas that we could not otherwise utilize.
My mail lady said TEMU is out packaging amazon on her route. I wonder if they sell seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was surprised by this and looked it up on Google, seems it is in response to some idiot sending letters containing anthrax. However, it also says it is only letters to some government departments (Are you ordering seeds from work?).
Are you sure that was the cause of your germination failure? It should be easy to spot as they say it damages the paper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was surprised by this and looked it up on Google, seems it is in response to some idiot sending letters containing anthrax. However, it also says it is only letters to some government departments (Are you ordering seeds from work?).
Are you sure that was the cause of your germination failure? It should be easy to spot as they say it damages the paper.
So they zap all the packages with radiation or something killing living things?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So USPS irradiates packages and such? Is this another reason I can't just ship my kids to my in-laws for the weekend?

I've had seeds delivered from several sources (never Amazon, don't trust that I'll get what is listed) via USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex. Never had a noticeable problem with any of them.

Also, remember, USPS ships most of the live chicks around the US for backyard flocks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So USPS irradiates packages and such? Is this another reason I can't just ship my kids to my in-laws for the weekend?

I've had seeds delivered from several sources (never Amazon, don't trust that I'll get what is listed) via USPS, UPS, and Fed-Ex. Never had a noticeable problem with any of them.

Also, remember, USPS ships most of the live chicks around the US for backyard flocks.
"However, it also says it is only letters to some government departments"

I somewhat doubt the OP's mail is irradiated, there are other explanations for germination failure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am glad for the tech and sad if some security need required the tech if only temporary. No way for me spank hiney on the subject.

Ask a Question