Need advice on filling raised garden bed

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are starting several new raised garden beds. There are a local mushroom farm who can give us a ton of free compost that they used to grow their mushrooms once.
- can I just use the compost for my garden? I have more than enough to fill it all
- should I fix it with my current backyard soil which I can’t tell how good soil they are
- some neighbors are giving excavated top soil from her back yard. Can I use it? Is there such thing as depleted too soil

Thank you very much

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would not use straight mushroom compost for different reasons. Number one is the NPK values which is very limited. Second is the Ph. The average is about 6.5 so you should find out the actual Ph of your compost as it may be very acidic. Thirdly and most important is that mushroom compost usually has a high salts content which is not good for most vegetable plants. Having said this mushroom compost is great to add to garden soil or topsoil but I would not add more than about 20% per volume of soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I forgot to answer your last question. Yes, soil can be depleted of nutrients but only after long periods of using synthetic fertilizers. And yes, using the native topsoil is fine but it is always a good idea to get a good soil test to tell you what is missing when you are growing vegetables. Is your neighbor's soil fill dirt or is it native soi?. If it is fill dirt I wouldn't use it as you don't know where it came from and there is a possibility of bad stuff being in it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Chuck seems to have answered you fairly comprehensively. The previous owners of my house did minimal maintenance, but the old lady next door told me that the people before that had a huge delivery of mushroom compost. That would have been about twenty years ago, and I can still plainly see where they used it, the soil is much better than the basic clay. Of course the mushrooms take a fair bit of nutrient out, but it starts out really good stuff, just about all organic material. I have used it to amend soil over the years, and one advantage is that you can sometimes get a fair crop of mushrooms from the mycelium left in it, if it is for free I would say it is certainly worth having to mix in with your top soil. You could try growing a quick crop of something like peas or soya to till into it if your soil test tells you it is lacking nitrogen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are starting several new raised garden beds. There are a local mushroom farm who can give us a ton of free compost that they used to grow their mushrooms once.
- can I just use the compost for my garden? I have more than enough to fill it all
- should I fix it with my current backyard soil which I can’t tell how good soil they are
- some neighbors are giving excavated top soil from her back yard. Can I use it? Is there such thing as depleted too soil

Thank you very much
Using compost in your garden beds is a great way to improve soil health and provide your plants with essential nutrients. Since the compost from the mushroom farm has already been used to grow mushrooms, it should be fully decomposed and ready to use in your garden. You can use it alone to fill your garden beds or mix it with your existing soil.

If you're unsure about the quality of your current backyard soil, it's a good idea to mix it with the compost to provide your plants with a better growing environment. Adding the excavated top soil from your neighbor's backyard can also be a good option, but it's important to make sure that it's not contaminated with any harmful chemicals or heavy metals, as these can be harmful to your plants and even to your health. You may want to have the soil tested before using it to ensure that it's safe and appropriate for your garden.

As for the possibility of depleted soil, it's important to note that soil can become depleted of nutrients over time, especially if it's been used to grow crops or if it hasn't been properly maintained. Adding compost and other organic matter can help to restore soil health and fertility. However, if the soil has been severely depleted or contaminated, it may not be suitable for growing plants and may require more extensive remediation.

For more info check this resource
Facebook Page:
Youtube Channel Link:

Ask a Question