my 2016 gardening

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I thought I'd make a rough log and then ask detailed questions elsewhere.

So our season is starting despite some snow last week. A seed package is in the mail, fruit is shipping next week, and I have my first plants after trading some garlic for some chocolate mint. It's doing well in pots in my aquarium room.

DSCN3553_zpsqpaoifsp.jpg

I need to get seed starting pots setup for some things I still want to start indoors but most of our work is outdoors. We are tearing out the old fencing and making the foundation for raised bed frames and the already existing path that has become buried by the sloping soil that has built up higher than the rest of the yard. The previous owners grew much of their own food for years in these areas. I'm turning the end where weeds seem to have been ignored for a few years into compost bins. The whole thing looks like a mess right now but it will come together.

DSCN3462_zpshc0zltpg.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I am anxious to see the end result of your gardening.

Wishing you luck because I know it will take so much hard work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Fruit arrived in the middle of the rainstorms which isn't entirely bad but we planted in the mud yesterday. Found a use for all the excess cages that are too small for my guinea pigs. Each one has a mint plant (the light green in the bottom starting to poke through the mulch) and a raspberry stem protected from dog digging and rabbits until the fence is up.

There are also 4 blueberry plants caged at the other end of that area.

I cleared this section, added 4" of compost and made it a partially raised bed for swiss chard, radishes and carrots last year. It's gained some of the creeping charlie that takes over everything and rather than rake it all out I'm wondering about just leaving it as a ground cover to put a row or 2 of corn there. Would probably have to pull a side off and expand to make room for a 2nd row. Will the corn grow through the groundcover fine if we clear around the seeds while planting so it takes a bit to fill back in?

Ask a Question