Muscari and Mini Daffodils did not re-bloom this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello,

I am in Puget Sound, WA, zone 8b I believe.

Last year I bought an assortment of flowers, which all died back in the winter. I completely forgot about the bulbs until this spring in late February I saw new foliage from the pots. I repotted the bulbs, fertilized, and mostly let them be between waterings. All the bulbs began to grow green leaves profusely, but none flowered. No signs of bugs, damage, we don't get much wind, and when I repotted them I used the same soil they were in last year. The fertilizer was all purpose organic from Miracle Grow.

Any ideas why the Muscari and Mini Daffodils did not flower?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Lack of food is what stops bulbs from flowering. Last year they flowered from the food they took in the year before at the bulb growers. Grown in pots they really need heavy feeding from as soon as the leaves begin to show in spring. Half strength feed with a liquid fertiliser every 10 days . Or better still plant them out in rich soil in the garden. Do not cut back the leaves until they wither.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am in Puget Sound, WA, zone 8b I believe.
Did you leave them outside, in the pots, over the winter? If so, it's very possible that with your average rainfall the main bulbs may be rotting (so what you're seeing the next year is just the greens from any smaller denser child bulbs which didn't rot but may not flower until they've built up enough mass, but with age, those bulbs become more likely to rot as well, repeating the cycle). Any bulbs I keep in containers, I bring those into the garage over the winter. They still need the cold, so don't store them inside in heated areas, but keep them dry.

Ask a Question