Moving plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are moving end of March and I have lots of established perennial plants and bulbs that I want to take with us. We live in zone 8, my concern is that transplanting will kill the plants. What are you recommendations for a successful transfer? If I don't move them then they will tilled up when they tear down the old house to make apartments.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Generically, as you damage roots in the move, you cut the leaves in half so they have sufficient sustenance from the new condition. I would also use a rooting hormone, called an auxin, such as super thrive or other named product, in the root area and as a root drench before reinstalling the plants. Also pay attention to light where it is versus light where it is going. There are a few pH\ lightmeters stick tools that can help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bulbs, just dig and plant when you get to your new garden. You may not have blooms the first year, but after they settle in, they will blossom. Bulbs store food for the next year, and as long as they have roots on the bottom, they will survive. If you can't get them in immediately after the move, put them in a box, covered with damp sawdust. They will be happy there for a month or two.
Perennials, dig as much of a root ball as possible and plunk in a pot or sturdy plastic bag. As DirtMechanic suggested, cut the perennial back by one-half. It will recover quickly in its new spot. Wait until new growth on the perennial starts, and then give it a gentle fertilization (about 1/2 the recommended amount for a commercial fertilizer, or an application of composted manure which will be used by the plant as needed.)
I don't think that transplanting will kill your plants. Bulbs and perennials are tough, and can withstand a lot of adversity!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello @kohndr and welcome to the forums (y)
If I were in your shoes I'd dig all the plants out before you leave the place - give them a drink of water, and take them with you. Plant them in your new garden whenever you can..... nothing ventured, nothing gained.
It seems that anything you leave behind wouldn't have any hope of surviving at all, so what is there to lose by having a go at saving them ?
Good luck :happy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
OMG. tearing up to build an apartment. Well, not sure how many plants you have. Or if your planning to take them all. or are able. I know with my garden, in that situation I could not take all. Just thinking, I'd probably put out a notice to all garden friends to come and get anything they can after I choose what I am able to take.

Ask a Question