Moss in grass

Reaction score
We have had such a wet winter and spring this year, I have a moss problem in my lawn. How do I get rid of the moss and get the grass to grow thicker. I have an ordinary moss killer (chemical - of course) for the garden paths and garden walls but I am not sure how to treat the moss in the grass problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
From what I've read if you have moss in your lawn its most likely lacking fertilizer. Properly timed applications of nitrogen will increase the turf's density, vigor and competitiveness. Fall and spring are the best times to apply it. Also remember that grasses grow poorly in dense shade.

Moss thrives in damp wet soils, which often are caused by poor drainage or excessive irrigation. Poor drainage sometimes can be improved by changing grading, aerating lawns, removing thatch, or installing subsurface drain lines to lower the water table. Remember to avoid watering at night, particularly in fall or early spring when moss growth is vigorous.

dim

Reaction score
there are lawn fertilizers that contain moss killer (it's normally iron) ....

you also need to aerate the areas where there is moss (use a large garden fork and poke holes into the lawn, as deep as you can go) .... this aids in drainage (moss grows when there is poor light/shade and bad drainage)

Ask a Question