Mobile Roof Gardening

Reaction score
growbus-ed01.jpg
2C51A31D908D203BC3BA11852BD42.jpg

What do you think of these?

This was on the news recently, when Spain proudly introduced their first eco-friendly bus, with many more, likely to be appearing in the UK and The States, who have also joined the worldwide scheme, aimed at purifying the air in cities, which have a limited amount of green areas.

Do you think, this could be the next gardening craze ? Maybe, there will even be competitions for the best designed, mobile roof garden !
As for something that is likely to catch on with the average gardener, I'm not so sure, unless you happen to own a bus, are fairly agile and don't have a dislike of heights.

Reaction score
That is pretty neat, I have thought of it before, but there is a huge flaw with this concept. Gardens, plants, and trees are meant to be stationary. Not mobile with vehicles. The reason being is that the extra weight added to the bus will waste more gas, and in turn have no benefit with the garden on top. Really unique idea, but it won't work. They are better off greenifying the area, not vehicles!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its different, but what happens when a seagull nests on one?:D

Reaction score
That is pretty neat, I have thought of it before, but there is a huge flaw with this concept. Gardens, plants, and trees are meant to be stationary. Not mobile with vehicles. The reason being is that the extra weight added to the bus will waste more gas, and in turn have no benefit with the garden on top. Really unique idea, but it won't work. They are better off greenifying the area, not vehicles!

I agree this could make the buses, gas guzzlers and put the price of fares up, but the idea behind this scheme, is aimed at cities around the world, that have no areas to greenify!

Its different, but what happens when a seagull nests on one?:D

Think it would probably, have difficulty finding its nest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love the idea! It looks so pretty and unique. Usually, buses are rather ugly so it's nice to see that somebody decided to do something about it. I wish buses in my city had little gardens on their roofs too.
It would be fun to see a small tree growing like this:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Haha, I don't know if Litchen counts, lol:p. But I'm sure that it looks, well, unique:p. I would love to grow a few miniature roses on my car (if I had a car. And if roses liked drafts).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
OMG! That is so amazing and totally crazy all at once. There are just so many ways that something like this can go wrong, lol. I think it's a unique novelty, but it isn't very practical for widespread use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
It looks quite nice and they'd probably be fine in the rainy season, but I wonder whose responsibility it is to take care of them when the weather is dry.

I doubt they'd survive very long in my part of the world. The staff in supermarkets can't even be bothered to water the plants they have for sale. I sometimes wonder how many people are ignorant enough to buy plants that are half dead.

Reaction score
It looks quite nice and they'd probably be fine in the rainy season, but I wonder whose responsibility it is to take care of them when the weather is dry.

I doubt they'd survive very long in my part of the world. The staff in supermarkets can't even be bothered to water the plants they have for sale. I sometimes wonder how many people are ignorant enough to buy plants that are half dead.

The plants on the roof of the bus, are of a type that is suited to the environment that they are living in, are extremely low maintenance and require very little moisture to survive. The condensation from the buses air conditioning unit, provides them
with enough water for them to survive, without needing anyone to take responsibility for the watering of them.:)

I don't think its just the staff in supermarkets that don't water plants, but also those in Garden Centers too, especially where I live, I've often seen some very sorry looking specimens, actually for sale at the full price !!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
The plants on the roof of the bus, are of a type that is suited to the environment that they are living in, are extremely low maintenance and require very little moisture to survive. The condensation from the buses air conditioning unit, provides them
with enough water for them to survive, without needing anyone to take responsibility for the watering of them.:)

I don't think its just the staff in supermarkets that don't water plants, but also those in Garden Centers too, especially where I live, I've often seen some very sorry looking specimens, actually for sale at the full price !!

Well if they can survive without maintenance I think it's a great idea. Just as long as it doesn't raise the cost of gas too much. I'm guessing they've used plants that don't add a lot of weight to the bus either.

I think the staff at our garden centres are quite good when it comes to looking after plants. I've seen the odd dead plant there, but not too many.

Ask a Question