Mint plant with brown tips?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11a
Country
United States
Hi! Hoping someone can help me with my mint plant which is in a pot on my balcony which gets full sun. The tips of the older leaves are turning brown, with a few spots. New growth is green. At one point, the leaves were turning yellow but I watered it less and it returned to green.

Any ideas what's wrong with it? I looked up mint rust, and other diseases and it doesn't seem to look the same. I've attached a picture of the problem.

Should I cut back the stems that have the brown tip leaves or just leave them? What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help!!!

Attachments

• mint plant tips.jpg
    mint plant tips.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,871
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
From the looks of it, excess heat from the sun is causing the brown leaves. The look like being roasted by the sunlight. Adding to the problem is the extreme evaporation of water that dries the roots of your mint. And since your mint is planted in a pot, I would suggest for you to relocate your mint to a shaded area only to get the morning sun for its needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to agree with @Corzhens since I do have chocolate mint planted in the pot, and regular mint right in the ground. Last week since we had hot weather, my mint leaves turned all brown at the tips! And now, we are going into colder weather, they are withering quite fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome dgardener, you've asked a question I didn't think to so thanks. I thought when my mint did that it was old growth!!!!
Now I have a mint question too...
I have just been given a peppermint plant and don't know whether to put it into a pot or plant it in the ground. I was warned that mint takes over but my common one hasn't so far, in fact has been a bit precious. I am planting it around some pavers where the grass doesn't grow so that it can just be mowed over and smell nice....an idea I got from this forum(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to say hello and welcome aboard! (y)

Reaction score
Sometimes brown tips indicate poor watering habits. You need to make sure that when you water your mint the water is seeing going through the drainage holes, so is not just a shallow watering. I hope your pots have a good drainage! That is one of the main reasons leaves get brown tips. Brown tips could also indicate a build up of salts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This happened to my mint as well. After the tips of the leaves starting turning brown the stalk eventually turned brown and the plant died. The leaves turned brown then dried out and crumpled up and died. I just bought a new plant since I wasn’t able to save it L.

Ask a Question