Leaf collection - hobby

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I had huge book (bounded) many years ago, but I think, I misplaced it. It had pressed leaf attached to one page and plant details on the other. I started it as a school assignment, as days past it became humagous.
Last time I saw it, it was in bad shape, pages were damaged by sliver fish.

I think I have to redo it again, it will take time and effort.:unsure:

Does anybody has this kind of book with native plants?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No but I love the idea! Years ago I painted an old bookshelf black, glued dried/pressed leaves to it, then heavily varnished over that. It was really durable, I had it for years, then gave it to a friend.

Do people still press leaves and flowers, or is that now a lost art?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I do not, but it is a wonderful idea. Were you collecting leaves from all over the world, or India specifically? I recommend you get an ant-proof case to hold the pages so your work can be preserved.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Yes, when we moved to Texas from upstate New York, I didn't recognize any of the Texas plants (I thought Yucca was a miniature palm tree). I started an "herbarium" with leaves, stems, pressed and dried flowers, and a description and growing requirements as I learned what that plant was and needed.
That book is now in the local library's reference section--not to be checked out, but to be referred to by folks who find themselves in the same quandary that I was in ten years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India

They have lost interest in the stuff like that, now-a-days I think scan copy of leaf will be better. Still collection leaf has its own advantages its like souvenir from the places you have been to or give you the sensation of the structure of leaf and helps to classify the plant better.

all over the world, or India specifically? I recommend you get an ant-proof case to hold the pages

I generally used to visit to countryside to collect, as you know the law of land sometimes forbid that.

I am now thinking of putting the leaves into zip lock bag or do you have any idea to preserve them, I don't know really, but I read it somewhere boric acid can be used to preserve plant parts and its quite poisonous to inserts.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No but I love the idea! Years ago I painted an old bookshelf black, glued dried/pressed leaves to it, then heavily varnished over that. It was really durable, I had it for years, then gave it to a friend.

I been pressing flowers and puttin them between 2 sheets of 2mm glass in my leaded windows. Pics are on my busted computer though and i've given them away as presents :rolleyes:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found one of them :)
DSCI0678.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia

What a great idea Beth. Sounds really striking on the black.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Are those 2mm glass circle, nice!

I have cut my finger and palm few times while trying to cut with diamond glass cutters. I could never get the right curvy edge though straight cut were easy,

Always use a towel :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I've pressed them between two sheets of wax paper with a heated iron. I've also pressed flowers and leaves in books with a weight on top, waited for them to dry, and then framed them. Not in two sheets of glass, like @zigs, but in a picture frame with a white background.

I am now thinking of putting the leaves into zip lock bag or do you have any idea to preserve them

I found some ideas online that might be worth looking at. :) There are 10 ideas there, one might work for what you want.

https://www.thespruce.com/pressing-fall-leaves-1402119

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
When I took Ornamental Horticulture 120 (entry level) we had to do a pressed plant collection. Also when I took the Pest class we had to do a collection of pests pinned and in vials. With the pests I think about 50 were required.

Ask a Question