It's like Christmas morning.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
......to a gardener when you turn your pile and get down to the " ready to use" black gold.......and it's more than you expected.
20180727_110718.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You have some gorgeous compost, and I share your joy in your "black gold." We use a lot of compost (with chickens and a lot of mowing residue, we can fill a compost bin in a month!). There are few things better for a garden, flower bed, or lawn, than compost.
Do you have an "active" pile and one that is ready to be harvested? It looks from your photo that you have two piles. Great idea if you have room and enough stuff to maintain two piles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have some gorgeous compost, and I share your joy in your "black gold." We use a lot of compost (with chickens and a lot of mowing residue, we can fill a compost bin in a month!). There are few things better for a garden, flower bed, or lawn, than compost.
Do you have an "active" pile and one that is ready to be harvested? It looks from your photo that you have two piles. Great idea if you have room and enough stuff to maintain two piles.
I just added the second bin, this morning, so I could turn the existing pile which was started about 6 months ago.......and during the turning, I got down to the "ready" stuff........so, hopefully, this weekend I'll get to add it to the raised beds.....if the weather holds out. I ALWAYS carry a large container in my truck and pick up compost materials that people put at the road. This time of year is a bonanza for material.......both carbon and nitrogen.........

Ask a Question