Issue with dwarf mulberry tree

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,

Recently I purchased a young dwarf mulberry tree, however since bringing it home I've noticed it has been losing leaves at an alarming rate, and barely growing any back at all. The leaves are looking very sickly (I'll include a few images), and feeling it was some kind of fungal infection I moved the plant to a full sun spot where it can be exposed to lots of fresh air (that was the initial advice I was given). This hasn't made much of a difference, as the plant is still deteriorating. I would appreciate any advice people have about what issue the plant is experiencing, and what I can do to save it from an untimely death. Thanks
20200323_104236.jpg
20200323_104229.jpg
20200323_104246.jpg
20200323_104241.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your tree is starving for oxygen because of keeping the soil too wet for too long. Remove all the stuff on top of the tree pot, then lift the container off the ground to allow the air holes to dry out, and allow the soil to dry well. Don't water until you see the top half of the container dry out. The photo below shows how to raise your your container.
Mulberry plants need a full sun exposure when growing spring through fall during the active growing season.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.JPG
    IMG_0899.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 117
Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

It isn't clear what the irrigation or drainage situation is with the Dwarf Mulberry in the OP, likely a Black Mulberry (Morus nigra).
However, I agree that good drainage is key, and could explain the symptoms seen. Sometimes container irrigation can veer between both extremes with both underwatering and overwatering playing a part in a plant's decline. Also, it's good to take note that the foliar developments shown are occurring in the Southern Hemisphere's autumn, when old leaves will begin to show wear and tear.
Still, normally the leaves on a healthy Black Mulberry would likely turn yellow before dropping.

Ask a Question