Is it too cold for my peppers ??

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! Completely new to this forum and gardening! But, I’ve been growing a couple plants of green peppers, and I’ve actually produced one! But lately it’s been getting a bit colder, and I have some peppers, really small, starting the growing process. I don’t want to instantly remove them from outside, but I also don’t want the cold to possibly kill them. I have a space in the back that I could use in case I need to bring them in, but no setup at all and don’t know where to start! Help!!

Attachments

• IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    221.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 7

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Temperatures below 55 deg F significantly slows any growth in the peppers. They can survive brief temps down in the 30s but will die if that lasts for many hours.

They need protection asap if you expect to get any more peppers. You will also have to provide light for them inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
First thing is always understand the climate where the plant in question came into being.

britanicca.com says:

Peppers are native to tropical America and are particularly important in the cuisines of tropical Asia and equatorial America. Traces of pepper fruits have been found in prehistoric remains in Peru and Mexico, and the plants were widely grown in Central and South America by various pre-Columbian civilizations.

So one fun thing to learn is what a weather app might say about the temperature difference between those areas today and your location. The answers may illuminate a pathway of what to do with your plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Temperatures below 55 deg F significantly slows any growth in the peppers. They can survive brief temps down in the 30s but will die if that lasts for many hours.

They need protection asap if you expect to get any more peppers. You will also have to provide light for them inside.
What kind of light would be good for them indoors? I’ve also seen people put/make a small greenhouse version around them?

Ask a Question