I'm gonna kill my cat / what's this spider?

Reaction score
Smiley - OMG.gif
That must have been a nasty shock R.R. - coming across something like that first thing in the morning would've almost given me a heart attack too - as Spiders :eek: of any description I really don't like - but that said - much as I don't like them and often encounter ones that look identical to yours - as well as some really enormous ones with big black furry legs - which are so large - that even my husband has trouble dealing with them and he likes spiders o_O as they have a tendency to fight back when trying to relocate them :eek::eek: I would much rather have to deal with the spiders or even a scorpion or two - than have to deal with centipedes - especially as the ones here are generally around 30 centimeters long :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am glad I don't live in an area where there are scorpians or any poisonus insects to speak of. I am sure there are at least one or two, but you never hear about them because people don't get bit or attacked. We just get disgusting huge spiders that like to make their way into the house during fall and I go into a panic attack when I see one.

Reaction score
I don't blame you for killing that spider. It looks scary. If only nature made the harmless ones look obviously different from the venomous ones so that you could tell them apart.
Now that others are saying that it's harmless, I probably wouldn't kill a spider like that, but I would scare it away with a broom.

Reaction score
I would scare it away with a broom.

Are you really sure you would want use a broom - knowing that spiders can race up broom handles at a record breaking pace :D

Vacuum cleaners aren't a good choice either - as I once found out - when I sucked up a seriously huge one thinking I could safely remove it that way - only to find that five minutes after I thought I was safe - it thundered out of the hose to terrorize me once again :eek:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Spiders make my sking crawl so I get rid of them as fast as I can, I do try to trap them and put them back outside instead of killing them. I did not know centipeds can stink like a bee. I have seen a few around the yard and house but they move so fast it is hard to catch them. We do have a service every three months come out and spray the foundation of the house, that maybe why I have not seen many bugs this year.

Ask a Question