How To Propagate Roses?

Reaction score
I have these beautiful pink roses that I would love to have more of and I already know they are not on a root stock. They are starting to get older and the bush is huge so what I am trying to say is I want to propagate them because the bush is to big to move any where else and it can not stay were it is. So at the time being it will be OK for a year or two more but I would like to start some more early. I have heard that seeds are a bad idea though not impossible is this true?

Reaction score
Although it is possible to grow some varieties of rose from seed it is not the best way of acquiring a rose bush.

The best, easiest and most commonly used method of propagating roses is from stem cuttings - which root very quickly and easily at any time of the year - but for best results are better done - either early autumn or early spring and so long as you are not currently experiencing freezing conditions - now would be a good time to do it :)

All you need to do - is stick healthy 6 - 8 inch cuttings either directly into the ground where you want them to grow or in pots - keep them lightly moist and out of direct sunlight and within a month - you will find that you have the beginnings of a new rose bush :D I would just add that although some people choose to use a rooting hormone - with roses this is not actually necessary and they will actually root without it.

I regularly make use of this method of propagation when I give my roses their yearly prune - as instead of discarding the prunings - I put them to good use instead :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata montes, have you tried rooting your cuttings in water? This is what I'm doing with a cutting from my newest rose. I thought that it's a good idea, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Should I plant it in soil? Or maybe it's too late?:( I've kept it in water for three days now.

Reaction score
Gata montes, have you tried rooting your cuttings in water? This is what I'm doing with a cutting from my newest rose. I thought that it's a good idea, but I'm not so sure anymore.
Should I plant it in soil? Or maybe it's too late?:( I've kept it in water for three days now.

I haven't myself but know of a few that have - which unfortunately didn't prove to be very much of a success :(

The best and most commonly used method of propagating roses is the one I have already mentioned in a previous post and as this method virtually always results in a new rose bush - it is the one that most commercial and domestic rose growers use.

If the rose you currently have sitting in water - is the one we discussed in your Valentine Rose thread - then you will probably remember me saying that commercially grown roses that are sold as cut flowers - do not always take root but as yours was such a beauty - it was well worth giving it a try - in the hope that it does - in which case I would strongly recommend that so long as the stem is still green - you get into the ground or some potting soil fast :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll plant it in soil today:) I won't wait. Fortunately, the stem is still green. And yes, I'm taking about the rose that I showed you the pictures of. I really want to try to root it!:)
I know that it won't be easy tough, because I had tried to root a few rose cuttings in the past and none of them survived:(

Reaction score
I'll plant it in soil today:) I won't wait. Fortunately, the stem is still green. And yes, I'm taking about the rose that I showed you the pictures of. I really want to try to root it!:)
I know that it won't be easy tough, because I had tried to root a few rose cuttings in the past and none of them survived:(

That sounds like a really good idea - especially as now is one of the best times to propagate a rose and if its going to work you should see the signs that it is growing into a lovely rose bush by the end of the summer - just remember to remove all the leaves from the bottom of the stem and make sure that you choose the end of the cutting - that as the most leaf notches - as the more leaf notches you can insert below the surface of the soil - the more chance there is of it rooting - then keep very slightly moist and wait to grow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you so much for these tips!:D I hope that rooting this stem will be a success. I already removed all the leaves. It has a few leaf notches, so there is a chance that it will develop roots:)
I'd love to have a new rose bush, especially since this particular rose is very dear to me.

Reaction score
You are more than welcome claudine and I too - hope that your stem will root successfully - especially as I know that this particular rose means a great deal to you.
So am hoping that before too long - you are telling us that you are now the proud owner of a new rose bush and a gorgeous one at that - either way would love to know whether or not it does root
:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'll let you know:) My cutting is already planted, so now the only thing that I can do is to wait and to dream of a lovely rose bush. Oh, and I also give my boyfriend subtle signals that a new cut rose would make me really happy :D

Ask a Question